Author Topic: Flarm mouse  (Read 5629 times)

Sapper732

Flarm mouse
« on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:55 pm »
Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction as to which flarm mouse I would need to connect to my PAW
Many thanks,
Chris.

Admin

Re: Flarm mouse
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:04:19 pm »
hi Chris

would be worth reading these threads first

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,767.0.html
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,759.0.html

by the way you asked
which flarm mouse I would need to connect to my PAW

there is only one FLARM Mouse ?
were you actually asking which type of FLARM to connect to your PAW ?

In which case there are a nnumber of options, all with cost differences, to name a few ..
- FLARM Classic
- FLARM Mouse
- FLARM Redbox
- PowerFLARM Core

thx
Lee

Sapper732

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:12:41 pm »
Hi Lee,
Many thanks for info, will do some homework.
Chris.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 06:13:41 pm »
Chris,

I did write a paper on connecting FlarmMouse to PilotAware, but forgot that my setup is non-standard so need to update the paper for general release. If you decide to go ahead, let me know. I have integrated both FlarmMouse and PowerFLARM Core to PilotAware with very effective results.

Regards

Peter

Sapper732

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »
Thanks Peter, will let you know.
Cheers Chris

Steve6443

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:56:46 pm »
Rather than starting a new thread, I'm going to tag onto this thread. I'm currently thinking of purchasing one of these products:

http://www.lx-avionik.de/produkte/powermouse/ (Powermouse)

or

http://de.lxnavigation.com/ (Flarm Eagle)

instead of a Flarm Mouse.

What interests me is the fact that the two devices mentioned are both based on PowerFlarm technology so should be similar to (e.g.) fitting PowerFlarm Core - anybody have any ideas whether this would be better than (e.g.) adding a Flarm Mouse? My first thoughts are that detecting ADS-B is not something necessary as PAW can do this, so should I go for either the Mouse as it's cheaper?. Or are there benefits to using PowerFlarm technology in conjunction with PAW I'm not aware of?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:03:40 am »
Or are there benefits to using PowerFlarm technology in conjunction with PAW I'm not aware of?

I don't know the products in question but one thing that the normal PowerFlarm has over the Classic is that the output power is higher, so other Flarm equipped traffic will be able to detect you from further away.

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 12:23:40 pm »
The original FLARM Mouse is being withdrawn. PowerMouse is the replacement. I would only buy one If I wanted gliders to see me, or I was likely to fly in an area not covered by OGN, and will not be any time soon.

I do like that fact that nearly all FLARM products now have antenna diversity.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 12:48:45 pm »
Hi All,

Not sure that is quite correct Ian.  I know FLARM are keen to get everyone onto the PowerFLARM platform, but can't see all the glider boys suddenly throwing their classic FLARM devices in the bin. Although LX Navigation seem to have already withdrawn the 'Red Box', LX Nav still 'list' the classic FlarmMouse as available and quote the introduction of PowerMouse as 'The great FlarmMouse has got a new powerful member in the family' - which implies an addition - albeit as an eventual 'successor', rather than an immediate replacement, though that may of course change once their newer devices actually become available.

Steve,

Although these new devices are based on 'PowerFLARM' technology, this is NOT quite the same thing as PowerFlarm 'Core' which also includes FLARM's 1090MHz receiver board, so they won't receive any of the 1090MHz stuff - which PAW of course already does. In this respect they are more akin to PowerFLARM 'Pure' (Flarm Only, but at the higher 25mW transmit power), though in a smaller lighter package.

With higher transmission power than the 'Classic Flarm' devices - such as FlarmMouse or Red Box, they should be 'viewable' from further out BUT all other 'classic FLARM' devices will still only be transmitting 10mW, so you won't necessarily see them any better - that all depends on your antenna setup.

Although based on the same PowerFLARM OEM board, the PowerMouse and Eagle each of course have their own subtle variations, such as the way they are powered (via the data port or by separate power lead) and the method of updating and downloading files (USB or microSD card) though I would expect the general performance to be broadly similar. Unfortunately, the only manual I can get hold of at present is a very basic 'Quick Guide' for the 'Eagle' as manuals for the others have not yet been released. From what I can see however and having successfully integrated both FlarmMouse and PF Core into PAWs in the past, I don't anticipate any significant issues.

Regards

Peter

Steve6443

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
So, anyone got an idea of when the documentation on how best to connect a Flarm Mouse or similar to PAW would be available? Thanks

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 02:47:45 pm »
Steve,

I wrote an installation document a while back which I gave out to a few people, but since it was written LX have changed their splitters. I just got hold of one of the new ones for checking (some ports appear to be one-way only) and will adjust the 'fit document' accordingly after I complete my checks.  Bear with me. If you want a copy of the early version I can send you one.

Regards

Peter

Steve6443

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 07:32:48 am »
If you could send me one of the earlier ones, I'd appreciate it.