Author Topic: Track playback - all detections noted as FLARM??  (Read 2966 times)

RobertPBham

Track playback - all detections noted as FLARM??
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »
Hi all,

I've just been playing back a track from a trip I did to Jersey at the beginning of September. (Can't wait for the scrub feature as I've had it running for 20 minutes and we still haven't taxied! :-) )

Anyway, I decided to download the track file and have a look and noted that virtually every detection appears to be marked as FLARM - I do not have a FLARM mouse installed.

At the beginning of July/August I formatted my memory card and did a complete software update to the latest version but I cannot see why this would adjust the detection level as only FLARM.... One thing I have noticed is that I didn't think the detections have been as good since I did the format but put that down to planes not having their transponders turned on etc (don't get me started on that). However, now I'm wondering if it has something to do with this. I am based as Wellesbourne so could it be the open glider network 'thing'?

Screenshot attached

Any thoughts and is this an issue/bug? Any knock on effects for detection etc?

Thanks
Rob

exfirepro

Re: Track playback - all detections noted as FLARM??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:12:52 pm »
Hi Rob,

Being near Wellesbourne will certainly help you see Flarm equipped traffic that you wouldn't otherwise see, but it certainly shouldn't make all your traffic appear as if from a Flarm source - which is what your Traffic Table 'appears' to be showing. From my experience, if, for example, you were running PowerFlarm Core, connected via your PilotAware, ADSB traffic would register as CSA-F, not simply as ---F.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:21:56 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:16:53 pm »
Its because its replay, this was a simple hack to reuse the flarm-in interface
Just to reassure, these are not flarm inputs

Thx
Lee

RobertPBham

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:30:43 pm »
Hi Lee,

That makes perfect sense - just to confirm, it would show the same in the downloaded track file - virtually all returns as $PFLAA - out of a 189626 line track file in Notepad++, 144327 lines are listed as $PFLAA.

Thanks
Rob

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:31 pm »
Hi Lee,

That makes perfect sense - just to confirm, it would show the same in the downloaded track file - virtually all returns as $PFLAA - out of a 189626 line track file in Notepad++, 144327 lines are listed as $PFLAA.

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob,
Exactly, all we are doing - is replaying the track file as if it is coming from a FLARM device, this has issues that live data is also included and overlayed if you are receiving anything.
As I mentioned, this was a quick method of replaying data - could definitely be improved

Thx
Lee