Author Topic: Electronic conspicuity at the LAA Rally  (Read 3564 times)

Keithvinning

Electronic conspicuity at the LAA Rally
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:16:38 pm »
At the 2017 LAA Rally at Sywell we captured the all the transmissions of visiting aircraft using (EC) Electronic Conspicuity containing GPS co-ordinates. PilotAware receivers were located on both the PilotAware and Sky Demon stands and the data verified between the two. Thanks to the guys at Sky Demon for sharing this data. PilotAware was chosen as the only available EC equipment, capable of receiving all the types of EC used in the UK. On the days of the Rally, the live information was passed to simple virtual RADAR screens on each stand to show arriving and departing aircraft in real time.

As several requests, have been received to share the data, here are the results.

Note: Aircraft using Mode C/S transponders were also recorded but as these do not have an associated bearing could not be plotted on the Virtual RADAR Screens. Great results for PilotAware!

Moffrestorer

Re: Electronic conspicuity at the LAA Rally
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:22:52 pm »
Hi Keith,

Interesting analysis. I'm guessing that a proportion of the PAW and Flarm targets might me also be Mode C or S equipped but unable to register on the strength of that equipment alone, as being "bearingless".

Combining ADS-B and PAW+ADS-B comes to about 21% of the total. Presumably the latter are NOT already included in the ADS-B column, but categorised as using PAW as a GPS source for their Mode S ES transponders?

PAW surely come out on top as being viewed the most cost effective with greatest utility for our kind of flying.

This seems to show that EC is making good inroads into UK GA. However not sure what proportion of the total number of visitors to the rally is represented by these 188 aircraft? Still lots of work to do to convince the others to take it up!

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »
Interesting analysis. I'm guessing that a proportion of the PAW and Flarm targets might me also be Mode C or S equipped but unable to register on the strength of that equipment alone, as being "bearingless".

Yes we have all the figures for Mode C/S as well but just wanted to see what the bearing targets numbers were like as these are the only ones that can be shown on a RADAR screen unless some form of MLAT is used.

Combining ADS-B and PAW+ADS-B comes to about 21% of the total. Presumably the latter are NOT already included in the ADS-B column, but categorised as using PAW as a GPS source for their Mode S ES transponders?

Correct if you want to do the maths properly the numbers would have to be added to both the ADSB only and the PAW only numbers. I would like to think that the PAW users were using our GPS to connect to their Trig or Funk

PAW surely come out on top as being viewed the most cost effective with greatest utility for our kind of flying.

Thats a view that we hope is shared by many

This seems to show that EC is making good inroads into UK GA. However not sure what proportion of the total number of visitors to the rally is represented by these 188 aircraft? Still lots of work to do to convince the others to take it up!

Yes we have all the figures for Mode C/S as well but just wanted to see what the bearing targets were like. If its not obvious aircraft using FLARM or Power FLARM were picked up by the temporary OGN-R antenna that we put up at Sywell. We took this down at the end of the Rally and hope that someone at Sywell will ask to have it back as a permanent installation. Any offers!  :D

stillstanding

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 05:46:00 pm »
And thank you for going through the log on Friday to confirm that I have broken my PilotAware! Receiving but not transmitting :o(

Mike

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 06:56:59 pm »
Sorry to hear that Mike.

Hope you get it back up and running soon. I'd be lost without mine now.

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:20:39 pm »
Peter

I thought that would be your SkyDemon or me ;D

Alan