British Forum > OGN-R PilotAware

New OGN Build 07-Aug-2017 not firing up RTLSDR on Pi B+ V1.2

(1/2) > >>

Winged_Jaguar:
I was using the June version successfully but have rebuilt using the latest 07-08-2017 OGN build. All loads as expected until the point where you run ./do-cfg.sh. All the standard questions are fine but when it comes to initialise and test the RTLSDR it just drops through all the gain tests in less than a second without actually doing anything.

If you manually run the test using, for instance, the command
sudo ./gsm_scan --ppm 1 --gain 50
the test returns nothing and it returns immediately to the command prompt.
Interestingly if you omit the sudo then you get a 'Segmentation Fault' message returned. The earlier build did not require the sudo in order to work correctly.
Any thoughts please?

(the earlier build still works so nothing wrong with the equipment and I've repeatedly rebuilt the 07-08 image from scratch on different memory cards with identical results. The RTL is visible in the USB list.).

Admin:
Aahh

Somebody else reported this, and I think the issue was using a rpi version 1
Could could this be the issue ?

I am not sure if the OGN software still runs on a rpi1

Thx
Lee

exfirepro:
Ben Smith had the problem with a Pi 1. I initially had a problem trying to run the setup on 20170807,  but this was because I am running a combined pre-amp/filter and forgot to remove the filter (designed to keep out strong signals such as gsm!).

I take it you are remembering  that you can only run 'gsm scan' manually if you first 'stop' the rtlsdr-ogn service

I seem to remember also trying a fresh software reinstall at one point but can't remember whether that was before or after we picked up on the errant filter issue.

Regards

Peter
(PWBalerno)

Keithvinning:
What is your site name?

Ben Smith:
Yes I can confirm that I had this exact fault while mistakenly running on a pi B+ rather than a B2,
This also happens if you use the generic ARM build of the OGN software, it worked up to 0.2.5 but not 0.2.6 however the specific Raspberry Pi build of 0.2.6 will run on ANY version of the Pi including the original (very underpowered) one and the Pi zero, it also has the option to use the extra power of the GPU for decoding if you want. I also find that I can run GSM scan with a SAW filter in place, however I have the GSM gain at 40 whilst the OGN gain is 26, this is with a Chinese antennae and pre amp.
Ben.

--- Quote from: exfirepro on August 16, 2017, 06:32:20 pm ---Ben Smith had the problem with a Pi 1. I initially had a problem trying to run the setup on 20170807,  but this was because I am running a combined pre-amp/filter and forgot to remove the filter (designed to keep out strong signals such as gsm!).

I take it you are remembering  that you can only run 'gsm scan' manually if you first 'stop' the rtlsdr-ogn service

I seem to remember also trying a fresh software reinstall at one point but can't remember whether that was before or after we picked up on the errant filter issue.

Regards

Peter
(PWBalerno)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version