Author Topic: UP-OGN working superbly  (Read 4255 times)

Deker

UP-OGN working superbly
« on: August 13, 2017, 09:24:16 pm »
Coming back from oop north, NE of Leicester, the uplink from Hus-Bos shows how good this is even now and how brilliant it will be the more base stations are installed.
I knew there were lots of gliders, I could see quite a few and the continious ATC traffic reports from East Mids, BUT this was a real eye opener.....literally !

I'm working a Up-OGN base station for my home field, today gives more impetus.....more news soon.
Deker

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:28:43 pm by Deker »

Keithvinning

Re: UP-OGN working superbly
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Hi Derek

Yes it really is illuminating when you are in the vicinity of an, or better still several OGN-R uplinks and see how many gliders and PAW are about. It also shows how little ADSB is about in class G airspace. I set my vertical separation to 3000 ft on Radar and rarely see ADSB traces which are mainly in controlled airspace where they should be. It was good to have ADSB in the early days to prove that PAW was picking things up. Now the majority is anything but.

As you say we need more stations. However this weekend stations at Redhill and Everton (Sandy Beds), and Poland have been installed. We are working on getting 50 installed in the UK by the end of the year. A stretching but achievable target. Thanks to all who are making history.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:52:30 pm by Keithvinning »

Richard

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:36:44 pm »
OGN at Pockington?
       Grate flight Sunday. Approximately 15 miles away all the glider popped onto display with SD, I currently have FLARM Red Box installed and at 15 miles it displays nothing!! until you are with in 3 miles or less to the Gliders. The New OGN upgrade is working brilliantly.

Thank you to Pockington for upgrading there OGN RX TX Great work from the PAW team.  ;D
Richard.
Europa XS

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
Hi Richard

Great to hear from you. the thanks should go to Guy and the folks at Pokington for making this happen. Hopefully Linton on Ouse and Topcliffe will be lighting up soon along and then perhaps Sutton Bank. watch this space. How about putting OGN-R up at Sherbourne this would the be the basis of a great protective ring in North Yorkshire. Any offers?

As you have a FLARM red box connected to your PAW in the europa the you have the best of both worlds. See the gliders at distance then over to FLARM as you get in close. The purpose of the OGN uplink is of course for the GA community with PAW installed to see the gliders and keep away and let them have safe fun.

I know that your close proximity to the sites favours an additional FLARM attachment which is great. Thanks for your post and support

Richard

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »
Hi Keith
       I will ask around at sherburn, but there are quite a number of committee members and of all ages, Some with open arms and some with dificulty with new advances in technology. But I do agree with you as there has been an near incident with Burn Gliding which is south by about 3 miles with winch launch upto 3000ft. Burn would be a perfect site too.

Keep up the good work. Sorry for not responding to some of the forum posts but I'm always here listening and learning.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:37:18 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:37:46 pm »
There's an OGN station at Burn already and it seems to be running on a Raspberry Pi, so it would possibly be an easy upgrade.

http://ognrange.onglide.com/#BURN,max,all,53.943_-1.1887,9,#00990000:#009900ff,

There's another one at Linton and another at Sutton Bank running on Pis which have already been mentioned. There's an OGN station at UKRUF (assume Rufforth?) running ARM so don't know if it's on a PI or not.

If you want to get in touch with the Sherburn committee, talk to Richard Maxted. If he needs any further info, get him to talk to me!

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:13 pm »
Thanks Paul

I aver spoken to Richard Maxted in the past so i will get in touch with him.

Richard

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:23 am »
Paul, good info. Yes Richard Maxted would be a good contact, he is a very helpful. I will chat with him next time our paths cross. I will try to get a screen shot of the range of the gliders to demonstrate PWOGN.
Richard.
Europa XS