Author Topic: Can GPS be added  (Read 8613 times)

Richard

Can GPS be added
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:05 pm »
just wanted to know if a GPS card can also be added to the Pilotaware and to the Pi board to all work together as one unit.

This would make Pilotaware  completely  independent ..... Or in other words using an IPad with out the built in GPS their would be no need for a Garman glow for example.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

Re: Can GPS be added
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:30 pm »
Hi Richard
Yep this can be done, its just software !
I have already tested out the glonass usb gps which you can get for about £10
I managed to get that working on PilotAware, but not properly integrated

Its on the list of todo's

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 04:06:06 pm »

I have already tested out the glonass usb gps which you can get for about £10

Thx
Lee

Lee Which Model Have you tested.

Would it not be better to build  the GPS within the box. There will be a lot of wires coming out of the PilotAware Box with a USB GPS.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

rg

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:58:51 pm »
Is this far off do you think?  I was about to buy a bluetooth gps but think I'll hang on if pilot aware is almost able to be my gps source.

Richard

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:39:29 pm »
OK,
   Just testing the completed Pilotaware. (on the Ground) I was wondering if the PI could power the Gamin GLO GPS direct from one of the ports on the PI. After removing the battery from the Garmin, It was plugged into on of the USB ports om the PI.....

Yes it can power the garmin GLO with no problems at all. With blue tooth turned on within the Ipad all works well.

So this leads up to my Question.....?
Does the Garmin GLO produce NMEA sentence from the USB port?
Can it provide the GPS direct into the Pilotaware?

If it does provide GPS NMEA from the port it could be useful for connecting the PI direct to the transponder and providing the GPS into the PI and onto the Ipad or Android (All could work in one box)

Richard.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:08:40 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

peastlake

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 09:03:14 am »
I'd be interested if the GLO can be directly connected to PilotAware. I'm having problems with using the GLO and my WiFi only iPad, once you start moving.

OK,
   Just testing the completed Pilotaware. (on the Ground) I was wondering if the PI could power the Gamin GLO GPS direct from one of the ports on the PI. After removing the battery from the Garmin, It was plugged into on of the USB ports om the PI.....

Yes it can power the garmin GLO with no problems at all. With blue tooth turned on within the Ipad all works well.

So this leads up to my Question.....?
Does the Garmin GLO produce NMEA sentence from the USB port?
Can it provide the GPS direct into the Pilotaware?

If it does provide GPS NMEA from the port it could be useful for connecting the PI direct to the transponder and providing the GPS into the PI and onto the Ipad or Android (All could work in one box)

Richard.

Richard

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:03:05 pm »
P.
   Ok I,v been doing a little looking around for info on the garmin glo. I'm sorry to report that the GLO usb socket is used for power only and no NMEA output.

Strange you are having problems with the Bluetooth connection Of your GLO. I have no problems at all. I,m using an early iPad with latest update installed. Could your GLO be falty? Can you lone one from a friend to test?

Richard.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:18:46 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »
Richard

Have you tried this whilst on the move ?

Paul only sees issues when moving
I was wondering if the rate of data from the glo increases as you start to move, ie lots of position updates.

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:23:49 pm »
Lee
   Good point. I have not tried it on the move! I will next time I set it up and have a drive. Or may-be Sunday on the way to the rally.  I generally user the iPads built in gps chip.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:56:50 pm »
Hi Richard

I noticed you posted under another topic with a screenshot.
In which case I presume you were using the internal gos and not the glo ?

Just wondering why you have the glo, was this for an older wifi ipad ?

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »
Lee.  yes it was for another iPad. Which I don't use for flying now. But I have been using it for testing on the ground. I intend to do a full test using the GLO in the air as soon as i can. The ground test seem to be throwing a few problems with other users of wifi only iPads. I will report back as soon as I have tested the GLO on the move.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS