Author Topic: Rosetta mounting - C172  (Read 3012 times)

CruiseAttitude

Rosetta mounting - C172
« on: June 20, 2019, 11:21:04 am »
Hello,

Hoping I can get some advice on the best (non-permanent) location to mount the PAW Rosetta in a Cessna 172. I am new to PAW and so far have been mounting the unit on the starboard side rear window using this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0725H9JY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When mounted the unit is horizontal/right way up (as it would be when sitting on a desk) up against the window, i.e. sucker to the side of the unit. I have tried to position the unit as far to the rear of the window as possible so as to reduce the impact of the high wing affecting GPS signal reception.

However, when looking over a recent track log in SkyDemon, I am presented with a message saying that the track log contains gaps in recording of up to 41 secs. I did not notice any GPS drop outs in flight however.

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

NB: Unit is mounted on the rear side window rather than the back wrap around window.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:30:59 am by CruiseAttitude »

Cottie

Re: Rosetta mounting - C172
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 12:10:50 pm »
Hi,

We have ours mounted at the top of the front windshield, although it tends to be in the aircraft permanently.  We have a wire tucked into the plastic around the windshield, and then into the lighter socket, although I prefer to run it off a battery so I can set up Skydemon before turning the master on.

I am down at the airfield on Saturday and can get some pictures then.
Iain
PWLymm

CruiseAttitude

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 03:00:51 pm »
I am down at the airfield on Saturday and can get some pictures then.

Thank you, that would be appreciated.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:25 pm »
Hi,

I would second Ian’s advice. Remember the most significant risk is from traffic approaching from opposite direction due to highest closing speed (and minimum warning time), so where a choice has to be made we always advise maximising antenna positioning to the front of the aircraft.

It is also worth having a look at the Fixed Installation section of the Forum here....

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/board,10.0.html

....even if not doing a permanent install. There is a thread on the Cessna 172, which might help.

Regards

Peter

Vic

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:23:48 pm »
Here's how I have finally settled for mounting my Rosetta in the '172. I used to have it in the back like you, but 'visibility ahead ' I felt at times, was patchy to say the least and I also got more warnings from our own Mode C transponder there, presumably as the air pressure down the back was likely higher than outside.

The local Ground station still sees us 30 KM away from behind!

I use one of the smaller twist suction RAM mounts and one of those rubber fingery RAM X-Holders which comfortably holds the Rosetta with the 'snickers bar' sixed Anker pack velcroed to it.

Cottie

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 04:38:58 pm »
Sorry about the delay, here is the location of our mount:

At the top of the screen, just behind the sun visors.
Iain
PWLymm

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 06:27:49 pm »
Ian,

I don’t want to worry you, but there is likely to be a potential problem with the way you have your Rosetta mounted. It is ‘wrong way up’, which makes no difference to the unit itself (or the radio antennas), but means that the GPS antenna is underneath its own circuit board, which is likely to have a measurable screening effect from the GPS satellites - especially inside a metal bodied aircraft.

What level of satellite reception are you getting? You can check on your PAW Home Screen.

Regards

Peter