Author Topic: Interference  (Read 3146 times)

Skrswift

Interference
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:21:20 am »
Hi

I have Pilot Aware installed in my Pegasus Quantum, I use a Anker PowerDrive 2 plugged directly into the 12v socket.

On the radio I am getting a constant interference, as soon as I unplug PAW it stops.

I am not sure what else to try, does anyone know of a way to stop this?

I use a Icom A24 radio.

Thank you,

Kiran

JCurtis

Re: Interference
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:47:16 am »
If unplugging the PAW from the PowerDrive2 stops it, plug something else into the PowerDrive2 and see if it comes back (i.e. plug in a phone or iPad).

If it does, then the PowerDrive2 is the problem, if not then the PAW is the problem. 

If it's the PAW, unplug the SDR (ADSB receiver) dongle and see if it stops then, the problem is then the SDR dongle.

Most of the time these issues are the power supply, then the SDR dongle.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Skrswift

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:29:22 am »
Excellent thank you.

I’ll give that a go this afternoon and let you know the outcome.

Kind regards

Kiran

Skrswift

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:37 am »
Hi

Thanks for your help.

I was eliminating the radio, pilot aware, phone etc one by one to work out where the interference was coming from. I couldn’t work it out then I accidentally knocked the aerial on the pod and it stopped, so I flicked it again and it started.

We unscrewed the aerial, cleaned it with contact cleaner, screwed it back in, now the problem has been resolved. No more noise.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 09:33:30 am »
I was eliminating the radio, pilot aware, phone etc one by one to work out where the interference was coming from. I couldn’t work it out then I accidentally knocked the aerial on the pod and it stopped, so I flicked it again and it started.

We unscrewed the aerial, cleaned it with contact cleaner, screwed it back in, now the problem has been resolved. No more noise.

Which aerial are we refering to ?
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:30 pm »
Lee,

My bet would be the VHF Comms antenna, mounted on the front of the pod.

Regards

Peter

Skrswift

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:00:16 pm »
Yes that’s correct, the comms Ariel on the front of the pod.