Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Technical Support / Weather latency
« Last Post by Hitch on Today at 09:15:16 am »
Just back from a super trip flying around the Balkans. A Europa Club trip. Nine aircraft: Croatia, Albania, Macedonia, Hungary. All fabulous. The Pilotaware Rosettas worked well. The PAW weather feature really proved itself. I could make informed decisions to avoid the active thunderstorm in the region.So reliable did it prove that I would like to know more about the “radar” latency. In the cockpit the weather “radar” exactly matched what my eyes were telling me was likely on the horizon. I realise that as you get closer to the cells  the latency becomes increasingly significant factor. My perception was that the “radar” appeared to give a result similar to real time! In the Balkan region the forecasts had foretold thunderstorms with a 30% or 40% probability each day. Having this extra tool in the arsenal helped us make the most informed choice. Question: From the viewpoint of the Pilotaware team. What is the latency of the weather information. Question: Does the latency of the information change depending on the region you fly in because the refresh rate is greater?

Fly safe :)

Hitch
Technical Support / Re: No ground station comms since updated licence
« Last Post by Merlin29 on May 25, 2024, 05:00:46 pm »
I think I’ve solved it. The HEXID has changed! Not sure how that could have happened unless I was entering licence key in the wrong place!
Technical Support / No ground station comms since updated licence
« Last Post by Merlin29 on May 25, 2024, 04:23:45 pm »
Hello. I updated my licence key on 4th May. Ever since then , I’m not seeing any groundstations - according to Vector. Here is screenshot that seems to show everything as green. Any thoughts? Hex ID is 4058EA if you want to check.
Technical Support / Re: Groundstation Playback - Altitude
« Last Post by Admin on May 20, 2024, 08:35:55 am »
That is correct, only a transponder emits barometric altitude, all other systems use gps
The groundstations emit altitude based upon the original emission type
Thx
Lee
« Last Post by tnowak on May 17, 2024, 07:01:13 am »
Hi Lee,

Is that right that PAW and FLARM "radio" transmissions (not via ground station re-broadcast) send GPS altitudes and not barometric altitudes referenced to 1013.2 HPa?

Regards
Tony
« Last Post by Admin on May 14, 2024, 08:00:17 am »
Remember that adsb and mode-s use barometric altitude, flarm and PilotAware use gps
On the ground station there is an adjustment to convert gps to barometric, using the given local pressure setting

Thx
Lee
Technical Support / Re: New FX unit
« Last Post by exfirepro on May 11, 2024, 03:44:23 pm »
Hi Chris,

As per Paul's post, plus -

If (as hoped) the Flarm Community take up FX as a low-power addition to their existing Flarm installations (FX draws far less power than Rosetta, making it ideal for installation in unpowered aircraft), not only will they be able to see us AND 1090 traffic via their new FX, but we will of course automatically be able to see them directly from their PAW FX transmissions - outwith Ground Station or iGRID Coverage range, so Win-Win.

As you will have read elsewhere, PilotAware and FLARM have also entered into a mutual collaboration agreement, which will no doubt lead to closer mutual development in the future, with perhaps further improved intercommunication options between our respective systems. Lots of potentially good things to look forward to from both groups.

Best Regards as Always

Peter
« Last Post by Gonch on May 10, 2024, 10:53:24 am »
Ahhh OK, I didn't think of the potential synching of Transponder altitudes, as mine was only putting out PAW according to the Playback.

Yesterday I had 1024/1025

Interesting clicking between the TRANSMISSION and seeing how much of it relied on CELLULAR only as no stations in sight.
« Last Post by steveu on May 10, 2024, 10:32:11 am »
Doesn't some maths have to be done to normalise all altitudes so traffic reporta are valid?

Mode S/ADS-B altitudes will be on 1013.2hPa so other ones will need to be made sync.

If pressure yesterday was about 1028 then this might explain a negative TO altitude?

Tracked a couple of aircraft yesterday and they also have -ve ground readings.
Technical Support / Groundstation Playback - Altitude
« Last Post by Gonch on May 10, 2024, 10:14:01 am »
Hi,

Firstly id like to say what a brilliant tool the Groundstation Playback site is but was wondering if there were any ideas why on the Groundstation Playback site there is a large altitude difference compared to downloaded TRK file?

Eg on my flight yesterday the Groundstation playback showed -313ft when on the ground, compared to my TRK file height of 25ft with 10 satellites in view?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10