Author Topic: PAW hanging during upgrade  (Read 3983 times)

dave roberts

PAW hanging during upgrade
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:36:56 am »
Hi,
I tired to upgrade the software and after connecting the USB stick and clicking update the unit just hangs with a message 'checking for updates'. This went on for well over 10 minutes certainly not the 30 seconds that the process indicates. I then tried taking the unit home and going through the automatic update procedure . The also fails as I now cannot communicate with the unit on 192.168.1.1 I see only the green light flickering at this stage and not alternating red/green. BTW I am a technophobe so please keep replies simple

exfirepro

Re: PAW hanging during upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:44:55 am »
Dave,

The fact that your PilotAware was still 'checking for updates' after 10 minutes indicates that PilotAware was unable to find the update file on the USB stick.

In simple language, there are five likely explanations for memory stick update failure:-

• You are trying to update from a software version earlier than 20160820. Versions prior to this date don't contain the software necessary to read from USB memory sticks.
  • The update file isn't in the 'root' (top level) of the memory stick.
    If it is 'hidden' inside a folder on the stick, PilotAware won't be able to find it.
  • The file name has become corrupted or changed from the original pilotaware.pgp (the .pgp bit might not show depending on your computer settings. If it's not there, DON'T add it). If you are adding a 'new' update file to a stick delete any old ones first or your computer will automatically rename the new one.
  • The memory stick isn't formatted as 'Fat 32' - simple check is to try a different memory stick.
  • Finally, don't attempt a memory stick update using a USB port that you have configured for ADSB-Out or FLARM-In as these may corrupt the data on your stick. If you have no 'Spare' USB ports, temporarily remove the GPS or SDR dongle and use that port. Do NOT remove the WiFi dongle with the PAW running!

When you tried the direct 'Ethernet' method, did you remove the WiFi dongle as per the instructions. If not this can prevent the unit updating due to conflict with your router. After connecting to your home router by Ethernet cable, you must power up your PilotAware and leave it running for at least 20 minutes to allow it to contact PilotAware.lode via the internet and download the update file, before shutting down and disconnecting from the router. Don't be tempted to cut this period short. You will only be able to log back onto your PilotAware to install the update after replacing the WiFi dongle and re-booting your PilotAware.

That said, the USB stick update is by far the quickest and easiest update method, so its worth persisting.

If you still can't get it to work come back to us.

Regards

Peter

Edited on 26th September for the sake of accuracy for the benefit of anyone reading this thread in future, to include reason 1, which I originally missed out and reason 5 for advanced users :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:34:17 am by exfirepro »

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:58:29 am »
Hi Dave

Also worth mentioning that you may have to tell your tablet/browser to open a new page for 192.168.1.1 as it often leaves it sitting with "update" appended to the address and this prevents it finding the index page.

Alan

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:10:32 pm »
I've been caut out by that as well Alan. Reboot page is one you do not want to refresh as it will reboot again.

Glen there is a fourth got yah for the USB stick update, that I do not think will effect Dave. The USB port used for the update must not be set to a special role, I.e. It must be set to Auto.

dave roberts

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:31:17 am »
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies.
The file is the only one on the stick, it is formatted to fat 32 and the filename is correct. I'm seeing a file of 10,793kb but it still hangs 'checking for updates'

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 08:44:14 am »
Hi Dave

What version are you currently running

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 08:56:27 am »
Hi Dave,

Very strange! You have checked the 3 issues I would expect to cause problems. When you say the file name is correct, I take it 'file extensions' are normally visible on your PC? We have seen instances where people, not seeing the .pgp file extension have added it, in effect renaming the file pilotaware.pgp[.pgp].

Duh!!!

Just realised one fundamentally basic thing I have overlooked. USB updates only work on previous software starting from 20160820. If your existing software is older than that, it doesn't contain the necessary USB stick reader. Might this be the case? If not, I am at a loss to know what is going on here. Lee might have some ideas.

Can you retry updating via Ethernet. Remove all the dongles, connect the Ethernet to your router then power up PAW and leave it for at least 20 minutes. Power down and disconnect, then replace dongles, reboot and connect to 192.168.1.1 and try the 'Check for Updates' again. Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

Edit: Lee was obviously thinking the same thing and just beat me to the post. Embarrassed I missed that possibility - a schoolboy error on my part, Sorry !! :-\  :-[
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:42:30 am by exfirepro »

dave roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:50:55 am »
Finally managed to upgrade by the manual update procedure. The software level I was on was 20160708 which didn't have a network tab to check I was set to dynamic but it worked nonetheless
Now I'm on the latest level a network tab has appeared
Many thanks

Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 10:11:23 am »
Finally managed to upgrade by the manual update procedure. The software level I was on was 20160708 which didn't have a network tab to check I was set to dynamic but it worked nonetheless
Now I'm on the latest level a network tab has appeared
Many thanks

Hi Dave,
Can you tell us what you did differently to get the update to work successfully, this will be important for other users
Thx
Lee

dave roberts

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 11:18:41 am »
Hi,
The USB upgrade obviously wouldn't work as my software was too old. The automatic upgrade was as per the document but I couldn't check it was set to dynamic, I just took a gamble. Powered down the PA removed all the dongles and connected by rj45 to the router. powered the unit on and waited 30 minutes. reconnected the dongles and when reconnecting to the PA found the install button highlighted. Clicked on this then after 3-4 minutes reconnected again and could see the latest version was operational

Admin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 11:25:26 am »
Hi Dave

Great thanks for that, now moving forward you will now have the option of either

- Internet Upgrade
- USB/Memstick upgrade

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 11:39:08 am »
Hi Dave,

I'm glad we got to the bottom of this. You now have an up to date PilotAware and a better knowledge of how the system works. Others will also benefit from reading this thread, or being referred to it, in the future.

Well done!

Best Regards

Peter