Author Topic: Hex ID / Flight ID  (Read 4497 times)

G-JBVP

Hex ID / Flight ID
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:39:54 pm »
I think I have configured correct with my hex id and flight ID but constantly getting warning of VERY close proximity aircraft when nothing close or nearby so think it's alerting to my own transponder - any suggestions?

Moffrestorer

Re: Hex ID / Flight ID
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »
On the PAW configuration page, ensure you have selected Mode C/S + Filter (Beta) in the Mode C/S Select field. This should filter out your own Transponder (assuming the same Hex ID has been entered in your PAW as in the Transponder).

G-JBVP

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 05:19:00 pm »
Thanks I'll give it a go

GeoffreyC

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »
I think I have configured correct with my hex id and flight ID but constantly getting warning of VERY close proximity aircraft when nothing close or nearby so think it's alerting to my own transponder - any suggestions?
I have the opposite problem.   Having recently fitted a transponder (which I know is working because Luton are able to "see" me fine),  PAW doesn't show my transponder at all.   I was expecting it to do so as a way of checking that the transponder was working, but it doesn't appear on the targets list at all, regardless of whether I have the filter on or not.

Is this normal?   I wondered whether it was because PAW and the transponder antennae are too close together, they are perhaps 90cm apart?

Geoffrey

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 01:36:21 pm »
Hi Geoffrey

90 cm is probably swamping the receiver.

What is the hex id for
Pilotaware
Transponder

Thx
Lee

GeoffreyC

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:32:04 am »
Hi Geoffrey

90 cm is probably swamping the receiver.

What is the hex id for
Pilotaware
Transponder

Thx
Lee
Hi Lee

When I first installed the transponder I thought I would use PAW to check that the transonder was working so I changed the PAW hex id and callsign to something different from the correct values.
Having done this I couldn't "see" the transponder at all from PAW so I just took it flying instead and Luton confirmed it was working OK.

Back on the ground I have now set the hex id the same on PAW and the transponder but I was wondering whether I would still see the transponder in the PAW traffic list?

Unfortunately the PAW is semi-fixed in the aircraft so taking it and its aerials out to move it a distance away from the transponder to verify the transponder operation isn't all that easy.  So hence wondering if it is normal to not see the transponder on PAW if the transmitters are too close together.   Do you think I need to extend the PAW transponder aerial to be further away to stop any risk of interference?

Cheers, Geoffrey

Admin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:13:38 am »
I thought no for normal usage this is fine but to see your own transponder could be a problem.
Probably best if you ask another user to verify your transponder at a reasonable distance, maybe 30ft ?

Thx
Lee