Author Topic: Power Supply & USB Power Cable  (Read 32914 times)

JCurtis

Re: Power Supply & USB Power Cable
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »
I have exactly that setup in my aircraft, Ian.   For powering any USB powered device, it works fine... no issues.

Could be OK, you'd have to build one up and try it and see if it works for you.  Some aircraft can withstand greater emissions than others, depends on lots of factors.

Be cautious of the rated power output if you are using the likes of a standard size iPad (non mini), they draw 2.1A with full backlight and the likes of SkyDemon running + what ever PilotAware draws.

"Output current: Rated current is 2A, maximum 3A (if the output power more than 10W, the heat sink is needed.)"

As an iPad can draw 12w, then a heat sink should be added when mounting into a suitable case.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Andy Fell

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 10:43:30 pm »
I have exactly that setup in my aircraft, Ian.   For powering any USB powered device, it works fine... no issues.

Could be OK, you'd have to build one up and try it and see if it works for you.  Some aircraft can withstand greater emissions than others, depends on lots of factors.

Be cautious of the rated power output if you are using the likes of a standard size iPad (non mini), they draw 2.1A with full backlight and the likes of SkyDemon running + what ever PilotAware draws.

"Output current: Rated current is 2A, maximum 3A (if the output power more than 10W, the heat sink is needed.)"

As an iPad can draw 12w, then a heat sink should be added when mounting into a suitable case.

I wouldn't propose one of these for both a large iPAD and to power the pilotaware.  The pilotaware takes ~1A (from memory), as you say an iPAD is a little over 2A.. It's just in but marginal on one of these boards.

Efficiency isn't too bad at ~90%, it doesn't generate much heat at 2A output (I have mine running a Nexus7 which draws quite a lot while SD running bright screen/GPS and also charging the battery at the same time).  The PSU does get slightly warm, but nothing too bad.  Heat sink would probably be required if operating at the advertised +85degC ambient temperatures.

I would be tempted to integrate one of these with the Pilotaware itself and let the air flow through it.  Leave plenty of space also to add some additional bulk capacitance to keep noise off the aircraft 12V supply.  Ferrites can be useful too, if the switching noise breaks through, but I've not had an issue with it (have had more issues with the transponder breaking through into the audio and radio TXr).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:47:38 pm by Wobblewing »

falcoguy

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 11:42:05 am »
I have one of these installed in the back of my aircraft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-9V-12V-18V-20V-to-5V-30W-4-USB-Step-Down-USB-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-/400755801997?hash=item5d4ee83f8d

So far its only supplied power to a mini ipad and dual150 GPS.  Will add a pilotaware this weekend and see what happens.

It doesn't run hot with just ipad and gps, and I haven't had any RF issues - but I'm still running a 25MHz radio (The 8.33 radios are apparently a lot more sensitive)

It has a dedicated wire from the master solenoid, and doesn't share any wiring with the rest of the aircraft - except wiring from the battery to the solenoid.

Dave t

bnmont

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »
I have one of these installed in the back of my aircraft.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-9V-12V-18V-20V-to-5V-30W-4-USB-Step-Down-USB-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-/400755801997?hash=item5d4ee83f8d

So far its only supplied power to a mini ipad and dual150 GPS.  Will add a pilotaware this weekend and see what happens.

It doesn't run hot with just ipad and gps, and I haven't had any RF issues - but I'm still running a 25MHz radio (The 8.33 radios are apparently a lot more sensitive)

It has a dedicated wire from the master solenoid, and doesn't share any wiring with the rest of the aircraft - except wiring from the battery to the solenoid.

Dave t

I have the same unit in my flexwing powering ipad mini and my backup gps.
Just the occasional bit of interference on the radio when ipad battery not fully charged.
Its just plugged into 12v lighter socket.

Brian

colinmackenzie

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 11:25:58 am »

bnmont

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 01:05:07 pm »
I can't say how well it performs for an extended period with the PAW. It certainly appears to power my Ipad mini, airbox clarity (backup gps) and the PAW unit ok. I have used in flight for 40mins max with all 3 items being powered. I have not checked voltage at the pi terminals when all are running, voltage was IIRC 4.9V at the pi with the engine off and only PAW running.
I have used for a couple of years to power the ipad and the clarity with no problems whatever.
Its just a shame it doesnt come in an enclosure of some sort, mine is still just velcroed to my instrument panel with power taken from the adjacent 12v lighter socket.

Brian

colinmackenzie

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:04 pm »
Thanks Brian, I'll try one out.

Colin

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 03:34:15 pm »
I use a minigorilla (www.powertraveller.com) 9000mAh to power in-flight equipment. Been using this unit successfully for some long time - essential equipment for long flights and trips. Using it also avoids the noise on the aircraft bus; the disconnects on start etc and the inability of some socket-based USB adapters to safely handle the load (although TomTom's hi-capacity one works well in the car for charging iPads and may well be great in a plane - to be checked out).

I have run the PilotAware unit in broadcasting mode with active ARF, RTL, Wifi 5370 and GPS (Bad Elf 2300), powered solely by the minigorilla for at least 4 hours with no hiccups at all.

rv12uk

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 06:59:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have just joined the Forum, and am in the process of ordering the bits I need to have a go at building a Unit. Regarding the Power Supply, would this unit be suitable (and possible better as it re-charges itself via solar power as well as DC4.8-5.4V) ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50000mAh-Solar-Battery-Charger-Power-Bank-For-iPhone-iPad-Tablets-Smart-Phones-/321814230008?hash=item4aed9f73f8

Forgive my ignorance, I have a little knowledge (dangerous  :o ) of things electrical, but I am a dab hand at following instructions, so feel free to use me for idiot testing purposes  :)

BobD

These arn't 50000 mAk as advertised on ebay (as usual) but are actually only 10000 mAh as tested, even the supplier only lists it as 20000 mAh (MFG Rated).

If you can wait for the slow boat from china you can get them from https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007810/1683601-solar-power-1-5w-20000mah-external-power-source.

I've used this site a lot (even had to return an item once) and found them very good. The downside is the wait for the goods, the upside is it is where most stuff on ebay appears to come from (so a few quid cheaper).
At the current exchange rate they are about £12 at the moment on Fasttech, interesting that ebay is only £3 more (although as he has sold over 1000 so far that isn't a bad profit lol.)

I might get one just to test with.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 01:00:09 am »
I've been testing this evening with my Anker 20100mAh unit...I chose this as it's the smallest and lightest for the capacity (about 350 grammes), has auto switch off and has good reviews. It's a reputable make who I've bought from before and had great customer service (when something didn't work with something which they said did and it didn't, and they didn't realise, they refunded my money AND let me keep the unit. So I bought this partly to show my appreciation even though a similar one of another make is cheaper - but larger and heavier).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VJSGT2A?keywords=anker&qid=1447030019&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Anyway, I've been measuring the voltage between pins 2 and 6. I started doing this then a friend messaged me to see if I wanted to go and meet him for dinner in Epsom, so there's a bit of a jump...but as you'll see that doesn't really matter.

13:40 4.95V - start of the test.
14:40 4.95V - after 1 hour
15:40 4.95V - after 2 hours
16:40 4.95V - after 3 hours

This is where I abandoned the test until I got home....

00:40 4.95V - after 11 hours

The test is being done with the PAW having the Wifi on, the ADS-B dongle on, and the USB Ublox GPS on, and it has the ARF in it, transmitting every 2 seconds. At the moment it seems that after 11 hours, it's still giving the same voltage as when I started the test.

I'm going to go to bed soon, and I'll leave it on, see if it's still on in another 7 hours!  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:04:13 am by Paul_Sengupta »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 09:47:31 am »
The power died sometime during the night, but it was still going at 4am, over 14 hours in.

Richard W

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »
+1 for the Anker 20100

Gustosomerset

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:28 pm »
New to this forum so apologies if this is already answered, but I couldn't find it...
I already have an Anger PowerCore 15600 (Model A1252) with two USB outputs.
Can I use this to power my PAW Rosetta?
Many thanks.

Ian Melville

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2018, 12:59:13 pm »
The main criteria is that it can output a true 2+ amps. The Powercores with two sockets, I think have one marked for iPad? The other is not man enough.

Try it and see

Gustosomerset

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2018, 10:39:10 pm »
Thanks. I tried it...and it works, apparently on either socket.