Author Topic: Bridge only to Rosetta path?  (Read 4103 times)

Arcticash

Bridge only to Rosetta path?
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:05:28 pm »
As the title says, I've had a look around but cant see anything relevant, unless a bridge only would be classed as a "classic" in terms of this upgrade ... so is there any plans for an upgrade path from a bridge only build? (and also is there any point?)

If it helps, the bridge board has a version number "v0.35" marked on it.

Ash

Admin

Re: Bridge only to Rosetta path?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 08:17:04 pm »
Hi Ash
I think you answered your own question
Rosetta addresses 2 issues

1. Ergonomic
A more organised structure for better carry on usage

2. Low power SDR
Future proof for second SDR for UAT weather

Thx
Lee

Arcticash

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:24:37 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Looking to future-proof my setup, would I simply need an extra SDR dongle to enable weather if it becomes "a thing" or would I need up upgrade the mainboard to a Pi3b+ too?

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:37:30 pm »
Ash,

You can run 2 x low power dongles on a Pi2B, but depending on your setup, (e.g. PAW Out to Transponder), you might need to upgrade to a Pi3 to free up a USB port for the second dongle. In the meantime all the latest software runs on the Pi2B - just a bit slower than it will on a Pi3. If you do decide to upgrade to a Pi3, remember that at the present time PilotAware only supports the Pi 3B NOT the 3B+ which needs a different setup.

Regards

Peter

Arcticash

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:33 pm »
You can run 2 x low power dongles on a Pi2B, but depending on your setup, (e.g. PAW Out to Transponder), you might need to upgrade to a Pi3 to free up a USB port for the second dongle.

Perfect thanks that's what I was after!

If you do decide to upgrade to a Pi3, remember that at the present time PilotAware only supports the Pi 3B NOT the 3B+ which needs a different setup.

Ahh right okay, Is there any plans to update the software for the newer pi? Just wondering if its worth holding off buying a Pi3B only to end up buying a 3B+ a few months down the line!

Thanks
Ash

Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:05:16 pm »
Ahh right okay, Is there any plans to update the software for the newer pi? Just wondering if its worth holding off buying a Pi3B only to end up buying a 3B+ a few months down the line!

Hi Ash,
No timescale for this, but its irrelevant really, technology marches on - if you wait, you will wait forever, you can bet that the raspberry Pi foundation are completing Pi4 and Pi5 is already under development.

thx
Lee