Author Topic: iPad using SIM card data as well as connected to PAW wifi ?  (Read 7142 times)

Dazrobson

Could any help advise if the data should still work via the 4g SIM card in my iPad at the same time SD is connected via the PAW wifi connection ?
I have spent hours searching and found conflicting info but no instructions. On what I need to do ?

Regards

Dazrobson

Re: iPad using SIM card data as well as connected to PAW wifi ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:17:14 pm »
sorted - with a little help from Lee & Kieth...

link to the help - https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/173894/can-i-connect-to-wifi-but-still-use-cellular

thanks guys. :)

sdkellner

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:28:12 am »
sorted - with a little help from Lee & Kieth...

link to the help - https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/173894/can-i-connect-to-wifi-but-still-use-cellular

thanks guys. :)

This is really helpful; thanks - I had been wondering how to do this.  Tried it yesterday and it worked perfectly in flight.  May I suggest that it be included in the user manual?

Best

Stu

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:21:05 pm »
It may be easier to add this into PilotAware itself.
At the moment when a WiFi Client connects to PilotAware, it is given
IP Address
DNS Address
Gateway address

I could restrict this, so that the connected WiFi device does not think it can get to the outside world via the hotspot.
I think this is what the solution described in the article is doing.

At the moment, if I have a WiFi only device connected to PilotAware, and PilotAware also has a Wired internet connection (RJ45), then the WiFi only device can get to the internet - this will break, but this is only useful in a limited set of circumstances

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
I was sure at one point you didn't supply the default gateway via DHCP to clients to enable this, but perhaps not. 
It certainly would be the easiest solution all round, apart from when performing system testing but I would presume you could fix that by tweaking the AP as you need to...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

gwyn_carwardine

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:50 am »
I was sure at one point you didn't supply the default gateway via DHCP to clients to enable this, but perhaps not. 
It certainly would be the easiest solution all round, apart from when performing system testing but I would presume you could fix that by tweaking the AP as you need to...

This is strange because the other week you said that your ipad was able to concurrently access the mobile network and PAW. But that doesn't seem to be true for all?

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:32:01 am »
This is strange because the other week you said that your ipad was able to concurrently access the mobile network and PAW. But that doesn't seem to be true for all?

Yes, I did, if you have an Apple device, then it will still go to the mobile data side if it cannot get to a destination via the PAW WiFi.  Apple have implemented logic in the networking stack to do that in iOS, other mobile OS solutions don't do this hence the problem for non Apple users.  It might be tied to WiFi assist being enabled (Settings -> Mobile Data (at the very bottom of the screen)) but I haven't tried it without that on - if I get time I'll give it a try later.

However if Lee did tweak what the DHCP server in PAW offers to devices, then it becomes a universal solution for all devices without anyone needing to do anything additional to make it work.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

gwyn_carwardine

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:59:30 am »
But this chap is using an iPad and it *didn't* work like that...

JCurtis

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:23:48 am »
But this chap is using an iPad and it *didn't* work like that...

Well I know all mine iOS devices work like this, running iOS 10.  I will try and check later about the WiFi assist option being needed, but I think it's on by default anyway. 

Admin

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
I can tell you what happened here.

When the Pi2B v1.2 was introduced, we had to port to a new Linux version, wheezy -> jessie.
This had an additional requirement of using a different DHCP.

If you look at the PilotAware Home page the kernel revision number will tell you which version you are running.
I am pretty sure that wheezy does not supply the router address to the client, but jessie does - that is where the difference exists.

You can workaround this issue, by assigning a static IP address on the iPad, there is a thread on the forum explaining this.

In the next release, I will probably make the behavior of the DHCP the same as it was under wheezy

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 04:13:11 pm »
Just run a few checks with my PAW running in the office.  iPad connected to the PAW hotspot and I can still happily get to the internet via the 3G side, flipping back and forth between a SkyDemon session "flying" talking to the PAW and reading BBC news etc.  I set a random route and SD went off to get the NOTAMs and weather so it's working.

The PAW doesn't offer me a DNS server, which is one way iOS can determine it's not a "real" network and so will flip over and use the 3G modem.  Altering the setting of WiFi assist does't make any difference in my case it works with either setting.  iPad is running iOS 10.3.1.

Not been running too long and picked up 300+ PAW packets, not often I "see" people around this way.

Admin

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 04:18:05 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

Can you take a look at the kernel release, and the PilotAware Version you are running.
I suspect this is an earlier kernel release.

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 04:25:21 pm »
PAW is 20170223
Kernel 4.1.19-v7+
It's a Pi B 2 (a classic kit from the store)

Admin

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »
PAW is 20170223
Kernel 4.1.19-v7+
It's a Pi B 2 (a classic kit from the store)

Hmm, interesting - I thought this version did provide Gateway & DNS
either way - I think in the next release, we simply do not providethe Gateway or DNS, that way, the device can decide to use its 3G/4G connection

Thx
Lee