Author Topic: Lost Connection  (Read 4230 times)

turkeysneck

Lost Connection
« on: April 23, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »
More problems, I took a flight from Shobdon to Kemble and everything worked fine. When I came to fly back to Kemble about ten minutes into the flight, the PAW stopped working, it came up lost connection so I had to disconnect from the flarm in flight to get Skydemon to work. When I tried to re connect it would not work, again saying connection problems, with butterfly connection whatever that is.

This weekend I did the exact same flight, again everything fine on the way there but again about ten minutes into the return flight the same problem, In more or less the same spot. Very odd.

After thinking abou this, the only thing I did when landing at Kemble was to turn off the tablet but I left the PAW still running as it's off a portable battery. I did this both times. I can't see this causing the problem but maybe I should turn off the PAW when I landed then restart it before flight ?

Any ideas. I'm starting to lose the will to live.

Admin

Re: Lost Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:20:09 pm »
Are you sure it had not drained the battery?
Were the LED lights on PAW still flashing, and was the wifi hotspot still connected?
What battery is this, can you provide a link ?

Also, how long in total had this been running off the battery ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:22:52 pm by Admin »

turkeysneck

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:03:41 pm »
Are you sure it had not drained the battery?
Were the LED lights on PAW still flashing, and was the wifi hotspot still connected?
What battery is this, can you provide a link ?

Also, how long in total had this been running off the battery ?

Thx
Lee

The battery was still fully charged when I got back, all four lamps still lit. it's the battery that is recommended by Pilot Aware, I bought the largest battery that they recommend and is good for 12 hours constant use. So I know it's not a battery problem.
Obviously I couldn't tell if the unit was lit in flight but I looked whent I landed and the unit was lit up.
I don't know if the wi fi hot spot was still connected, I couldn't mess about with it in flight as I was being blown all over the sky.
What I should have done is do all these checks when I landed but by this time I was so frustrated with the whole thing I'd just had enough.

I guess I'll have to just try it again and see what happens.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:20:08 am »
Could your tablet be trying to connect to another Wifi connection at that point in the flight if it's happened twice in the same location? Maybe you could tell the tablet to "forget" some other Wifi connections if you have various set up on the tablet.

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:26:09 am »
Wasn't near Hereford was it?  Popular area for GPS Jamming trials by Sneaky And Serious team, though should be NOTAMed.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:18:59 am »
Don't think that would be the case. as a GPS dropout would be a "Seeking satellites" or similar indication rather than a "Lost connection" which means the Wifi between the tablet and the PAW has dropped out for some reason, or the PAW's crashed/restarted.

turkeysneck

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:22:54 pm »
Could your tablet be trying to connect to another Wifi connection at that point in the flight if it's happened twice in the same location? Maybe you could tell the tablet to "forget" some other Wifi connections if you have various set up on the tablet.

I really don't know, I can't see it myself, I mean what else is there for it to connect to at 2000 feet. I think it's losing GPS connection but not sure.

turkeysneck

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:27:46 pm »
Wasn't near Hereford was it?  Popular area for GPS Jamming trials by Sneaky And Serious team, though should be NOTAMed.

Not it was not far from the Severn estuary. But I can't see it being that either because when I lost what I think is a GPS connection I then switched from the flarm connection to location services and got a GPS connection straight away and it worked fine the whole way back.
I tried another 3 or 4 times to re connect to the PAW but it was having none of it.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:32:22 pm »
From what you are describing it sounds like it has switched off / powered off.
usually if the WiFi connection goes, the iPad will automatically re-connect
The fact that you could not 'go flying with flarm' again, indicates that there was no WiFi connection

And you say this same behavior has occured twice ?

Thx
Lee

turkeysneck

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:42:39 pm »
From what you are describing it sounds like it has switched off / powered off.
usually if the WiFi connection goes, the iPad will automatically re-connect
The fact that you could not 'go flying with flarm' again, indicates that there was no WiFi connection

And you say this same behavior has occured twice ?

Thx
Lee

OK you could be right, not sure how to rectify that though. I'll have to re position so I can see the lights in flight I think at least that way I'll get some idea of what's going on.