Author Topic: No longer receiving ADSB  (Read 8963 times)

Admin

Re: No longer receiving ADSB
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:33:26 pm »
Lee,
I am referring to the two lines on the attached part screenshot.
The same two lines are repeated numerous times (short one when green, long one when red).
Dave

apologies - did not see the attachment it was so small.
OK, that is not telling us anything I'm afraid

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:28 pm »
Lee,

The logging screen is too large to fit on one screenshot but having observed it for a while, when the ADSB status is green, the short message is displayed.
When the status turns red, the long message is displayed.
The system is not subject to any vibration during this time (static in my house).

Dave

Dave,

The ADSB Status also goes Red when there has been no ADSB traffic received over the last monitoring period - e.g. because there is simply no ADSB traffic about or none within your preset receive limits. Not suggesting that this can't be an SDR fault, but it could just be a faulty (or badly screened) 1090 MHz antenna. We have had a couple of examples of this recently, hence why I asked what other traffic you are receiving. Screengrabs from the Configure and Traffic Screens could also help us by letting us see your settings and what other traffic if any you are receiving.

Regards

Peter

davep

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 06:40:21 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying. I will send the requested screenshots as soon as I am able.

davep

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »
I have been monitoring the received traffic for a while now and there have been occasions when all the traffic on the traffic page has disappeared including mode C and S.
After a short period it all returns. The system is currently operating from an open window in my house so there are minimal external factors affecting signal strength.
I switched it on again today to try to get screenshots but the WiFi disappeared shortly after connecting and did not return for about 5 minutes.

Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 10:58:45 pm »
Dave,

Remember that traffic appearing and disappearing from the traffic screen is 'normal' as aircraft move in and out of range.

Re the wifi issues, could your tablet have simply connected to another wifi source such as your home router? This can cause the effect of the PAW wifi dropping out on your tablet, though it won"t affect the operation of PAW itself.

What power supply are you using? It MUST be capable of maintaining at least 2amps at 5 volts.

Can you post screen grabs of your PAW Home, Configure and Traffic Screens so we can see what is going on please. Preferably after the unit has been up and running for a while.

Don't worry, we will get to the bottom of this!

Regards

Peter

davep

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 03:23:40 pm »
Peter,

The WiFi problem is not that it is dropping connection, it disappears altogether from the list of available networks. In an effort to get some screenshots I have used 2 tablets and a PC connected to PAW and the network disappears from all 3.
I have been monitoring it for a while now and have lost the WiFi 3 times (all of them shortly after initial connection). It has returned between 30 seconds and 5 minutes later.
I appreciate that received signal strength varies and indeed the traffic list in the table is constantly changing. The attached screenshot sequence shows a period of 14 seconds from when all targets were lost. It may be normal but I wouldn't have expected so many targets to reappear in such a short time.
I have to stress that these faults are very intermittent and although PAW is only an aid to traffic awareness, it would be nice to have confidence that it is detecting traffic correctly.
I am using an EasyAcc 20000mA power pack.
My config settings are:
Mode C/S separation +-2000'
Mode C/S detect medium range
Mode C/S select Mode CS Beta
Usb settings all Auto 4800

Dave

Admin

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 03:44:47 pm »
Hi Dave

The one unknown I have here is the EasyAcc charger.
I recall in the past we came across a power supply (cannot recall the name) that used some kind of 'smart soft start'
This was REALLY intended for charging, and not as a power supply.

this caused some issues, because the power requirement for the PI jumps about as resources are used.
I wonder if we could see something similar here - especially when you say the WiFi disappears altogether

Do you have an iPad charger - the large 2.1A charger not the small 1.0A charger
If so could you use this as a test ?

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 04:25:07 pm »
I've not seen these power packs before, but the blurb on Amazon is interesting...

Charging faster and smarter, Smart Technology automatically detects connected device and delivers the optimal charging current - Ensuring the fastest and most efficient charging.

...it is the device that detects the charger not the other way around.  The PAW is really a "power thief" in terms of power, as it is simply taking the power from the charger and doesn't use the D+/D- pins at all.  So this could, potentially, confuse the charger if it monitors the power draw for a few seconds then caps the delivery. I have seen this before in "smart" chargers, as that is what they are, chargers not power supplies.  Strictly speaking a power thief is only supposed to draw up to 500ma, and some smart chargers will limit the output to that.  Enough to boot the PAW but not enough for when it really gets going with work to do.

Do you know the exact model of this charger, the "manual" for a 20000mAh version shows that the USB port closest to the LED flashlight is probably the one to use, the others seem strange as they seem to offer up to 12v (!) as they use a proprietary charging system from Qualcomm.

As Lee says, do you have a different power source available for testing?

Link to manual download from EasyAcc website:  https://www.easyacc.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=330
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 04:26:50 pm »
Dave,

I also experienced the same thing with two colleagues PAWs using so called 'intelligent' battery packs - one of which I'm sure was an Easy-Acc. That was why I asked the question earlier. The wifi dropping out often points to a power issue, though it could be a faulty wifi dongle. I agree with Lee, let's try to eliminate the power supply first or we'll be chasing our tails swapping components and still not fixing the problem.

Don't worry, once we get the problem sorted out, PAW is VERY reliable.

Regards,

Peter

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:29:48 pm by exfirepro »

davep

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 04:29:53 pm »
Hi Lee,

I have a 2.1A mains charger and will try it.
It will take some time as the apparent faults have been intermittent.

I have to say I have only noticed the faults since using PAW out of the aircraft. When "temporarily" installed in the aircraft it operates on the aircraft supply. It is only since removing it from the aircraft during it's annual service that I have used the power pack.

Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 04:36:53 pm »
I have to say I have only noticed the faults since using PAW out of the aircraft. When "temporarily" installed in the aircraft it operates on the aircraft supply. It is only since removing it from the aircraft during it's annual service that I have used the power pack.

Dave

AHA ! That supports the likelihood that the power supply is the issue. Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:38:58 pm by exfirepro »

davep

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
Since using a different power supply I have noticed that the traffic table content seems to be more stable and the wifi has not dropped out.
I am pleased to report that my confidence in PAW has been restored. I would never have thought that such a "chunky" power pack could cause so many problems.

Many thanks for your patience and help.
Dave

Admin

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 10:22:14 am »
I am pleased to report that my confidence in PAW has been restored. I would never have thought that such a "chunky" power pack could cause so many problems.

Hi Dave,
I think Jeremy made a valid point. This is intended for charging, and is using some 'smart' technology
Please try using the other USB sockets on the charger, it seems they may not all be functionally the same, as Jeremy says

the USB port closest to the LED flashlight is probably the one to use

thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 02:24:52 pm »
Since using a different power supply I have noticed that the traffic table content seems to be more stable and the wifi has not dropped out.

Many thanks for your patience and help.
Dave

Dave,

Definitely looks like the power pack has been at the root of all your problems. We learned long ago that a stable power source is essential for effective operation of PAW. Even using a poorer quality power cable caused loads of failures with early 'home built' units. The good news is that once you have a reliable power source, you shouldn't experience this type of problem again.

Regards

Peter