Author Topic: Don't Work  (Read 11843 times)

Admin

Re: Don't Work
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 09:58:39 pm »
I am confused why you would think that ?
SkyDemon is a navigation tool

I am interested to know what led you to think this

Thx
Lee

turkeysneck

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
I am confused why you would think that ?
SkyDemon is a navigation tool

I am interested to know what led you to think this

Thx
Lee

So am I, I thought I read it somewhere, obviously not.

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 11:27:24 pm »
Turk,

I have been at the airfield all day, so have just managed to read the posts and note the other's comments all of which are valid. Thanks for the screen grabs. My own comments are as follows: -

1. As I said a few posts higher up, PilotAware can only 'see' aircraft transmitting one or more of PilotAware P3i, Mode C, Mode S or ADSB. SkyDemon is (to quote Lee) a Navigation System - it does not transmit anything, so you will NOT see aircraft using SkyDemon (or any other navigation program) unless they are ALSO transmitting one or more of the above.

2. Your PilotAware Home Screen clearly shows that your system was fully working at the time the screen grab was taken - viz. all status lights showing green.

3. Any detection system will however struggle to receive signals from other aircraft unless the receive antennas have a clear view of the sky. This is reflected in the fact that the only aircraft showing on your Traffic Table are commercial aircraft using very high power ADSB or Mode S transponders. Signals from the lower power transponders or ADSB normally used by GA aircraft will be very effectively blocked by metal hangar construction, aircraft metalwork, human bodies or tanks full of fuel, all of which will very effectively screen your antennas. This will be significantly more evident in the case of PilotAware P3i signals which at only half a watt are at least 200 times weaker still than even low power GA transponders - though still adequate for operation over at least 20Km in clear line of sight with good antenna positioning.

5. ADSB and P3i Detection is automatically selected, but signals could still be excluded by relative altitude settings in your Navigation System - you still haven't said what system you are using, so I can't really help you here until you do. Your Home Screen clearly shows 'NO NAVIGATION DEVICE CONNECTED'.

4. You have 'Mode S' Detection selected, but don't expect to see many as you have the control filters closed right down to the absolute minimum settings - Ultra Short Range is designed to detect ONLY high power transponders (generally in commercial airliners) from no further away than a few miles - e.g. when transiting or operating from or immediately adjacent to a major airport. For general use, you need to be running Short Range or Medium Range. Your altitude filter is set to +/- 500ft - so you won't see any Mode S equipped aircraft more than 500ft above or below you. If you hope to see Mode C or Mode S aircraft you should initially set +/- 2000ft as a MINIMUM or preferrably +/- 4000ft until you get used to seeing this type of target.

5. As Paul S says, you can't expect to see Mode C transponder equipped aircraft at all as you have no Mode C Detection selected. If you want to detect Mode C transponder equipped aircraft in addition to Mode S, you need to set 'Mode CS Detect' to Mode CS(Beta) - if you have no transponder, or Mode CS +Filter (Beta) if you have a Mode C or Mode S transponder fitted to your aircraft.

6. Paul is also correct that even though there is a lot of aircraft around, if they are GA or microlights, it is highly unlikely that they are transmitting ADSB or P3i - which would only leave very close Mode S potentially 'visible' with your current settings.

7. Take the plane outside and try the settings recommended above and you should start to see more aircraft appearing on your Traffic Table. Then we just need to sort out whatever display option you are (or are not) using.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:39:04 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 01:06:08 am »
The next step is to convince everyone else at your airfield to get a PilotAware so you'll be able to see them and they can see you.

Ian Melville

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 08:15:56 am »
Do we have any experienced PAW users near Shobdon? I think it would be a darn sight easier to meet with turkeysneck and provide another PAW to configure and test his/her system?

Admin

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 08:36:22 am »
Moffrestorer (Chris Adams) Has an A/C based ar Shobdon

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 09:10:48 am »
Morning Ian,

I agree, that would be the best option, but if he sets his PilotAware up as I suggest and takes the aircraft outside the hangar, he should at least start seeing something more than the occasional CAT report - or at least we will be able to narrow the problem down to display settings.

Small steps but ever forward  ;) :)

Regards

Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 06:24:50 pm »
Hi Turkeysneck,

My aircraft with PAW permanently installed is based at Shobdon.  Are you based there or close by? I'm happy to help if you're having problems with your unit, setting it up or interpreting the results. Send me a private message via this forum if you want any assistance.

Regards,

Chris

turkeysneck

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 11:34:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help but today (yes i'm based at Shobdon) it finally started to work, complete with sound. It's a mystery to me but all of a sudden after a reboot it started working and has worked since.
I still don't know now what the problem was but whatever it was seems to have sorted itself out.

Thanks again.

exfirepro

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 11:42:02 pm »
Glad you've got it working, turk. Thanks for letting us know. If you do ever get to the bottom of what was going on, please come back on and let us know. It all adds to the common knowledge pool, which is the great strength of forums like ours.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:54:34 pm by exfirepro »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:15 am »
Turk,

I also experienced some problems several weeks ago that a reboot (as opposed to power offf/on) sorted out. Glad to hear your up and running OK now.

Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 02:55:28 pm »
Chris,

If you bump into Turk (metaphorically speaking), it would still be worth comparing settings to optimise his display, Thanks

Peter

turkeysneck

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 05:51:41 pm »
Glad you've got it working, turk. Thanks for letting us know. If you do ever get to the bottom of what was going on, please come back on and let us know. It all adds to the common knowledge pool, which is the great strength of forums like ours.

Regards

Peter

I will of course, thanks again.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
Chris,

If you bump into Turk (metaphorically speaking), it would still be worth comparing settings to optimise his display, Thanks

Peter

I would do for sure, but I don't know who he or she is. All I can do is go around checking necks out. Though I'm sure my own turkey(neck) will be worse!

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57:00 pm »
Chris,

For some reason Turk has Gone a bit shy. His Reg Info has disappeared from his earlier post - which I assume is how Ian tracked it down to Shobdon - I also did, but was trying to be discreet!! When I looked on G-INFO it showed photos of a Black Quik R Explorer - very nice plane Turk by the way! - with a Black and Red Wing if I recall. Turk, please don't be embarrassed we are only trying to help, if you know Chris or can identify him, please speak to him - we are all on the same team and can only gain by helping each other. Its NOT about embarrassing anyone  8) ;) :)

Regards

Peter