Author Topic: Updating the original PAW  (Read 7590 times)

Nigel waller

Updating the original PAW
« on: March 05, 2017, 08:54:47 am »
I have a original classic Paw unit if I purchased a bridge unit would it be a direct replacement. Does
it fit into the classic case.

Nigel 

exfirepro

Re: Updating the original PAW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:08:43 am »
Nigel,

Getting a bit confused here. On your other thread you said you were running a PAW with 2015 software, which is before the PAW 'Classic' was released (in May 2016).

So are you running a PAW Classic - which would already have a Bridge installed or a 'home-built' PAW?

If it is the latter - it will presumably be based on a version 1 Raspberry Pi, which can be upgraded by fitting a Bridge ( which will fit inside he case in place of the old ARF etc boards), but you still won't get the Mode C/S or audio alerts. If this is the case it's probably as well to start again with a new 'Classic'

The Bridge comes with a 1st year software licence, as does the 'Classic' kit.

Regards

Peter

Nigel waller

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
I'm as confused as you I bought my aware in September 2015 fully assembled it looks the same as the classic shown
on the Paw sales site so I'm not sure what version it is.

Nigel 

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:30:21 am »
Nigel,

You couldn't have bought a PAW Classic in September 2015 as they didn't go on sale until May 2016 ! If you bought a pre-assembled unit in September 2015, it definitely wasn't from PilotAware and could NOT have had an RF 'Bridge' fitted as they were still under development up until May 2016.

Do you mean September 2016 ? If so we are talking a totally different ballgame and your unit will already have a Bridge fitted. If you're not sure, can you post a photo of the inside?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:38:20 am by exfirepro »

Nigel waller

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 09:52:15 am »
photo

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:05:11 am »
I'm thinking a photo of the other side of the  unit is required. That one is the underside of the RPi and doesn't show what PCB is sat on top of the RPi!

Nigel waller

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:42:44 am »
The circuit board has Raspberry PI  B+ V1 2 2014

Nigel waller

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
front cover

AlanG

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:59:13 am »
Hi Nigel

What you appear to have there is a very early home built unit with what i think is the early version of the ARF shield, glued inside the casing, just disappearing out of shot at the top of your photo.

If I am correct, you basically have two options:  (1) Remove the old ARF unit & purchase a new RF Bridge with licence, from the PilotAware Hardware shop and fit this.  The big disadvantage with this option is that your older Raspberry Pi will not support the Audio warnings or the Mode C/S bearingless Targets.  (2) The option i would recommend, is you confine that unit to a box of bits that you might find another use for in the future and purchase a complete Classic Kit From the PilotAwae shop and you will have a fully functioning, guaranteed unit, with a years licence for £192.00.

Probably not quite what you wanted to hear but I hope this helps.

Alan

Nigel waller

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 12:14:02 pm »
Hi Alan
Thanks the reply at least I know what I've got the price quoted does that include postage?.
Also as I have both antennas the GPS unit the wifi dongle can I buy just the unit?

Nigel

Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:28:40 pm »
Hi Nigel

Please take a look here for all the options
http://pilotawarehardware.com

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 12:31:33 pm »
You can buy a Raspberry Pi 2 plus a bridge and use the rest of what you have.

Or just buy a complete unit and use the other bits for spares!

If you do that, you can retask the Pi 1 B+ and DVB-T (ADS-B) dongle as a FlightRadar24 receiver.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »
Hi again Nigel,

Missed your later posts as I have been on my way down to the airfield, but glad to see Chris, Alan, Lee and Paul have stepped in and cleared up the position and your options.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

Nigel waller

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:58:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies one quick question I have my I pad running sky demon linked to a micro avionics blue tooth so any warnings on sky demon can be heard in my helmet.
Would I hear the audible warning generated by the Paw

Nigel

Admin

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 02:06:31 pm »
Hi Nigel

An entire thread on this very subject!

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,516.0.html

Thx
Lee