Author Topic: Latest (Feb 17) release  (Read 16617 times)

Ian Melville

Re: Latest (Feb 17) release
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 06:47:12 am »
Two machines updated over LAN. Worked first time, but I do find it nessesary to remove the WiFi dongle, Set to DHCP and Reboot before attempting update.

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:43:20 pm »
Hi All,

Just to check that the problems reported above were with individual setups, rather than with the new software, I have done a set of tests. All 3 of my currently operational PAWs have now been updated to 20170223, - deliberately using different methods for each unit to check for problems - but none were found!

PAW 3 - Was updated in situ in my plane by 'PilotAware.pgp' from USB memory stick. Remember, you need to have at least version 20160820 previously installed for this method to work, and carefully follow the USB update instructions - in the User Guide - especially make sure you have only one '.pgp' file on the stick and that it is correctly named 'PilotAware.pgp'. As long as you do this, it generally works fine. I also tested a selection of USB sticks ranging from 16Gb USB 2 to 64Gb USB 3 after first checking that they were all formatted 'FAT32' - and all of my units recognise all of these sticks both for upgrade and for download of track files.

PAW 4 - Updated at home via network ethernet connection - With this unit I did NOT remove the WiFi dongle as I have never had to do so before and it updated as normal. I would stress however that as others have found, this probably won't work if your router uses the 192.168.1.... subnet.

PAW 6 - To be on the safe side if updating via ethernet, unplug all of the dongles, plug in the ethernet cable, power up the unit for about 15 to 20 minutes, power it down and disconnect the ethernet cable, then refit the dongles, power up, again, connect to the PAW WiFi and manually start the update install. This again worked as expected.

So I guess the problems reported above were with individual setups, rather than the new software.

Regards

Peter

bnmont

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:04 pm »
Well Peter you are correct in my case. Insufficient attention payed to the instructions.

Make sure file on USB stick is  PilotAware.pgp  !!!! :)

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 09:30:54 pm »
Well Peter you are correct in my case. Insufficient attention payed to the instructions.

Make sure file on USB stick is  PilotAware.pgp  !!!! :)

The beauty of the forum Brian. We make the mistakes and everyone else reads about them on here and can then pretend they got it right first time!  ;) ::)

Glad to hear your PAW talk was a success by the way.

Best Regards

Peter

efrenken

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »
Peter (and Lee),

My LAN update worked after setting dynamic IP address, as suggested by Lee (thanks a lot, Lee). Before it didn't work, nothing happened after connecting to the LAN.

Best regards

Eric

Ian Melville

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:39 am »
For those that tried with a static IP, did you enter a valid static IP. for your network?

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 09:02:06 am »
Hi Ian,

I'm guessing probably not! Fortunately I have never experienced this problem as my home network and PAW doesn't have a conflict. I've always considered myself fairly technically aware, but without reading all the helpful advice about networks on this forum from Lee, Paul yourself and others, I probably wouldn't be aware that such a problem could exist - so I guess most of our 'perhaps less technically minded' users (no disrespect implied or intended) won't either. It would be interesting / useful to know though  ;) :)

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:04:56 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 01:10:50 pm »
I suspect not as well Pete, hence my question. Unless you know about IP setups in routers and sub netting, it would be easy to make a mistake. Even I managed to type 2 then I wanted 1 in the third octet, and not notice until Lee pointer it out.

It would be better if it defaults to DHCP, and there is a button to enable advanced mode with static IP settings. Include a warning message appropriate for today 'here be dragons'

efrenken

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »
For those that tried with a static IP, did you enter a valid static IP. for your network?

Hi Ian,

No, I didn't, wasn't aware I had to.

Eric

AlanG

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:46 am »
And dare I ask how us luddites know what is or is not a valid static IP address?   :-\

Not that I am affected either but thought I would pose the question that others may be too shy to ask.

Alan

Ian Melville

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 12:59:37 pm »
Trying to keep it simple 😳 What is below applies only to domestic ADSL setups in 90% of homes

Your ADSL router would normally be the device that controls IP addresses. You will need to go into the router control panel to view the settings. I am assuming your PC is on a hard wire LAN.
Your router will have its own static IP so that you can access it, it is almost always the same as the gateway IP. Though some do use a URL.
On your PCs that is connected to the routers network, open a command prompt (lots of different ways to do this, google it for your OS)
In the command prompt window type 'ipconfig', it should return three bits of info. The IP of the machine you are on, the mask and the gateway. Make a note of these. If the mask is 255.255.255.0 this tells me that any static IP you assign must have the first three numbers (octets) the same as those of you gateway.
In your ADSL router config check the DHCP range allocated.
The static IP you choose must not be the same as the router gateway, must not be within the DHCP range, must have the same numbers in the first three positions as your gateway. I have assumed you do not have any other devices with a static IP, and the mask is indeed 255.255.255.0

If you are baffled by the above, then just set your PAW to DHCP :) 99% of all PAW user will have no need for a static IP

Admin

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 02:48:04 pm »
And dare I ask hin the ranow us luddites know what is or is not a valid static IP address?   :-\
Not that I am affected either but thought I would pose the question that others may be too shy to ask.
Alan

Totally depends upon the network you are connected to.
For example, lets say your router/gateway IP Address is

Then the static IP will usually be in the range
192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255

EXCEPT, your router will have an allocation pool of IP addresses, lets say the pool is
192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100

So this now limits the static range from
192.168.1.101 - 192.168.1.255

to confuse this further, it depends upon the defined subnet mask, a subnet mask is usually
255.255.255.0, or could be

The assumptions above are for a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, but if the subnet mask is actually 255.255.0.0
then the legal IP range is from
192.168.0.1 - 192.168.255.255
excluding the dynamic pool

and in fact there is an assumption I make, that the gateway/router address is always the subnet.1, ie
192.168.0.1 or

In fact in Ian's case his router/gateway is not subnet.1, so I will have to make a further field available to input the gateway address.

so in the next release it will be

IP = STATIC or DYNAMIC
STATIC = IP_ADDRESS + GATEWAY_ADDRESS

- well you did ask  :o

Thx
Lee

Deker

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:49 pm »
I didn't ask and now my brain hurts  ;D

Ian Melville

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 06:47:52 pm »
Sorry forgot to include the ranges that Lee mentioned, though IIRC from my Cisco courses, the range is 0 to 255. 0 and 255 are reserved for broadcasts, so should not be used. You router will have set a Static for it's self and the gateway. Typically 192.168.0.1 or in my case 192.168.1.254. Then there is the range allocated for DHCP. SOMETIMES you can get away with using an unallocated IP in the DHCP range, but you will be storing up trouble, don't do it. If the DHCP range expands from 1 to 254, then you can change the range to something more sensible. Nobody at home should have 254 networked devices, though things are going that way with the Internet of Things.

Ian Melville

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »
Oh, did anyone mention IPV6?  :o don't' even think about it :-X