Author Topic: Audio Testing  (Read 51436 times)

RobertPBham

Re: Audio Testing
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 08:36:38 pm »
In regards to receiving audio via Bluetooth, could any one advise if the following scenario is achievable:

I don't have a Bluetooth headset but want Bluetooth audio via PAW in the clubs aircraft - I fly a different aircraft each week so a permanent install is not a possibility.

If I was to purchase two of the following Bluetooth adapter (as mentioned earlier in the thread) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-TaoTronics-Simultaneously/dp/B016UF7J5C/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D85BFMZ3W9S3JQ9X5MYE

Attach one to the PAW directly and configure it to communicate with the other Bluetooth adapter, purchase a 3.5mm jack to audio in for the plane so that I can use one of the rear passenger sockets and plug in to that.

In theory, would that give me Bluetooth audio via the plane so I could hear it in my headset? If the above device cant do it, does a Bluetooth receiver exist for the same scenario?

I know I could just go straight in to plane audio from PAW but I've read about various issues with the volume not being loud enough - I'm thinking this method may solve that and give full flexibility etc.

Thoughts?

Appreciate any input! :-)

Thanks
Rob

exfirepro

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:02 pm »
Rob,

AlanG used to use a similar setup, though he now connects the Bluetooth 'receiver' into a dedicated auxiliary input on his intercom.

I have also tested a similar setup, but currently have no problems with a hard wired cable connection direct from the PAW to an auxiliary audio input on my (Flycom) intercom.

One problem you might experience going in through the 'back door' is that the audio level could be too low. Although I've never had a problem, several users in the early days of audio alerts had to introduce small amplifiers to boost the relatively low audio level from the PAW.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2017, 09:01:20 pm »
I have two BT using and used them as described, but not yet tried feeding into a spare headset socket, so not sure what levels you will get.
You do not want an amp between the PAW and the BT transmitter, that would be too much for the input. Monitoring my BTTX to BTRX setup with earphones I have to turn the PAW down to about 4 or 5 as the volume was excessive. That bodes well to feed an aircraft headset, though it's anybody’s guess as to what the different impedances will do in different aircraft wiring installations.

Trying to work out if I can test it at home with all my bits and bobs

RobertPBham

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »
Brilliant - thank you so much for the replies.

Looks like some more money to spend on gadgets! :-) Interesting to hear that you have no issues going directly from PAW to the aircraft via cable - I have no experience but seem to think I had read many replies about low volume - hence why I was looking at a Bluetooth setup. I know that every aircraft is different but I fly a PA28 - any thoughts on cable vs Bluetooth for this in regards to audio volume levels?

Thanks as always - everyone is very helpful
Rob

Ian Melville

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »
To date I have been feeding into a spare Mic socket. Just hope Lees's lass does not pipe-up when you have the tit pressed. Guess who it happened to  :-[

RobertPBham

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2017, 10:28:09 pm »
Lol - I know that will happen to me!

Any pointers on the cable required to go from PAW to the Mic socket direct - I've looked on Amazon and can see ones for the plane head phone socket but not the Mic socket? I've probably missed it! Doesn't seem to be much for 5.25mm to 3.5mm - assuming I'm looking for the right thing!

Thanks
Rob

Ian Melville

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »
Mic plugs are not easy to get. IIRC mine was cut off an old headset. You are looking for PJ068B . A few seconds Google is your friend. http://www.pilot-europe.com/pjo68b-microphone-jack. Effing expensive, so a scrap headset is the way to go. I cut one end off a stereo 3.5mm extension lead, and connected it to the jack.

RobertPBham

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:33 pm »
Brilliant - thank you! I'll see if the club have got any old headsets I can cannibalise!

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:36 pm »
Bear in mind the Mic jack will put out DC to power the microphone's internal amplifier. You might want to block this using a capacitor.

RobertPBham

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2017, 12:40:06 am »
Thanks Paul - I would never have given that a thought!

This is where it starts to get complicated - no idea what to do with a capacitor (I know what they do but my electronic skills aren't good for making things). Might have to reconsider doing any of this as I don't want to implode the PAW just for some audio!