Author Topic: Reducing PAW Audio Chattiness. Is it possible ?  (Read 3088 times)

Easy Cruising

Reducing PAW Audio Chattiness. Is it possible ?
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:54:10 am »
Was just considering the PAW audio output. Typically I find the audio distracting just after landing when I want to listen to tower instructions or transmissions by other pilots, even though my PAW audio is second priority to other radio inputs. Is anyone else finding this to be the case ? I was thinking it might be possible to reduce this chatter in PAW :

** If my GPS groundspeed is below, say 20 knots, I am on the ground and I don't want audio alerts (but still can see the alerts on SkyDemon or other device)

I do realize that this wouldn't work for very low speed aircraft but if there were a switch in PAW it could help a large number of ships by de-cluttering the audio for pilots at busy fields.

Obviously we could unplug paw when landing but that requires some fumbling and will cut the gps data to the android or iOS device also.

Anyone agree/disagree or have a better idea?

Admin

Re: Reducing PAW Audio Chattiness. Is it possible ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »
I think we need an external control, a simple toggle or volume control.

I suggested previously your idea about G/S below a certain amount, but a number of users said they
did not want this, because they wanted warnings as they were preparing to line-up.

This _could_ be made an option to the configuration, but it only helps on departure, and not on arrival

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:49:01 pm by Admin »

Easy Cruising

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 01:01:35 pm »
It would help on the ground after landing. Actually that's the time I'd say it would be most useful. Changing the software has got to be way easier than modifying hardware. One still potentially has a visual alert even with no voice alert. I see little value in voice alerts whilst waiting to line up because other aircraft on the ground will likely be closer (mode c/s) and anyway we all know in which direction to look before lining up. Also, the definitive 'voice alert' for aircraft on final is when they call 'finals' isn't it ?

My vote is still for a setting in the PAW config since it won't mess up the guys who want the alerts all the time, which could be the default.

AllanBirt

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:11 pm »
It would help on the ground after landing. Actually that's the time I'd say it would be most useful. Changing the software has got to be way easier than modifying hardware. One still potentially has a visual alert even with no voice alert. I see little value in voice alerts whilst waiting to line up because other aircraft on the ground will likely be closer (mode c/s) and anyway we all know in which direction to look before lining up. Also, the definitive 'voice alert' for aircraft on final is when they call 'finals' isn't it ?

My vote is still for a setting in the PAW config since it won't mess up the guys who want the alerts all the time, which could be the default.

I second this..  :) :) If this is possible, I could even test this too, if your able to make this change within the software. :)

Allan
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:49:38 pm by AllanBirt »

Chris7777

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 07:33:56 am »
I'm just about to put switch in the audio, but after this I might make it a volume control :)

gvpsj

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:47:49 pm »
It is very simple to shove a volume control and illuminated ON/OFF switch in the audio line, I have this in my (fixed) installation. An automatic one would need a bit more thinking but an airspeed operated switch should be feasible. Mobile units are not what I use so not thought about them. :)
John