Author Topic: Skydemon time out  (Read 8247 times)

Admin

Re: Skydemon time out
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:21:43 am »
Hi Federico

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

I want to come back to an earlier point, you said
"It never happens if not flying"

So I would investigate what is different in the two environments
This can only come down to
- power supply
- rf interference

I think your power is the same setup in both scenarios?
This only leaves rf interference - possibly from the engine ?

I would concentrate on looking at what is different between the working and failing situations

Sorry I cannot offer better help.
We could try swapping the WiFi dongle, but if this works when not flying ....

Thx
Lee

tfede

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »
Hi all,

@exfirepro, IOS is 10.2.1, same as you one.

@Admin, i will first try to change the wifi dongle (i have a spare one i am using in another raspberry). If i will change it will my licence be still valid or should i ask for a new one ?

Thanks

Federico

Ian Melville

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:11 pm »
The licence is tied to the LAN port on the Pi board, not the WiFi, so carry on with the swap.

T67M

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:43 am »
Another big difference between ground testing and in flight use is the vibration level. The micro USB connector used to provide power to the Pilot Aware is not the most sturdy connector in the world, so much so that I cut a USB lead in half and soldered it to the main circuit board to give a better contact. Since doing that, I've not had any repetition of the loss of GPS error.

Ian Melville

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 09:24:37 am »
If the issue is a power issue than checking the time that the PAW has been running on the home screen before you shut it down will tell you if it has rebooted. The time will be from the last reboot, which in a working system should be when you turned the PAW on before the flight. Not sure if brown-outs will show the same way? A capacitor fitted to the Pi of the right type and value will also mitigate against short disconnections.

I just throw mine in the back, on the luggage floor. Never taken any precautions to protect against vibration, and never had any drop-outs. Perhaps I have a better 'fit' of mini USB connector, or just lucky.

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 09:45:42 am »
I did have a problem with the micro USB power connector on one of my 'home built' units physically dropping out some time back. I tracked it down to carelessness on my part - I had taken the board out of the case and hadn't re-seated it back in properly, so the case was preventing the micro USB 'latching' into the socket. Reseated the board properly and have had no issues since. Hence why I am finding Frederico's problem frustrating.  >:(

Regards

Peter