Author Topic: RPI 2 and rainbow screen  (Read 12446 times)

schweboo

RPI 2 and rainbow screen
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »
Hi

Have just tried to upgrade to an RPI 2 and have only been getting the "Rainbow" screen when I turn the device on. The RED power light is on and the Green light flashes (5 slow and then ? 5 fast flashes). I followed the PAW install instructions to the letter and tried several times with the same result.

The mini SD card worked fine (SanDisk Ultra 8gb) on my old RPI and works fine when I copied a Raspbian img file to the card. This booted Raspian without problems. This means (I think) the there is nothing wrong with the RPI 2 and that the RPI 2 SD card reader works. Would it be possible for me to load PAW manually?

Or is there something else I could try?

Best regards

Chris

Admin

Re: RPI 2 and rainbow screen
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 03:59:59 pm »
Hi Chris

RPI-2 V1.1 or V1.2 ?
I suspect this is V1.2, which is actually a totally different beast, and closer to an RPI-3
(using the same CPU as an RPI-3)
We have a solution for this, but it is not yet published

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:47:12 pm by Admin »

schweboo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:53:30 am »
It is a RPI 2 Model B model number 100437.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:27:46 am »
Chris,

Sorry, can't tell from the model number, but if you look on the pcb itself, it will tell you after the Raspberry Pi2B bit whether it is a version 1.1 or version 1.2 board. Newer Pi2Bs from non-PilotAware sources seem to be version 1.2 boards, which use a different architecture and won't run PilotAware as it currently exists.

Lee has done a considerable amount of work rewriting the software to deal with this, but as he indicated above this software version has not been released yet, though I would expect this to happen fairly soon.

Regards

Peter

schweboo

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:19:20 am »
Have checked the hardware.It is a model 1.2. Using CPUINFO I saw that the revision number is a22042, confirming that it is V1.2

I had no idea that there were two versions of RPI 2 and there is no indication that it is model 1.2 on the Amazon site from which I ordered it...

I would be happy to help with any testing of the new version....

Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 01:15:01 pm »
I would be happy to help with any testing of the new version....

Email sent
Thx
Lee

schweboo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 04:33:49 pm »
Email received thanks. Have successfully installed the software as far as I can tell.

My HOSTID has changed, so no further progress possible until I receive a new software key. I have already requested a new key and sent a copy of the email with my previous software key with the request.

Rgds

Chris

schweboo

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:32 pm »
Hi

Realised that I could get a demo software key using my work email address, which I confess I have done!

Attached are screen shots:

(a) HOME: showing Model B Pi 2, (which is a v1.2). I do not have the 3PI radio, which is why I have a TRX RED flag. I set the pressure altitude manually, hence the RED flag there.

(b) CONFIGURE: the page does not show any of the options available on the Pi2B version. Is this because I do not have the 3PI radio?

Kind regards

Chris
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 01:52:58 pm by schweboo »

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 04:11:02 pm »
Hi Chris,

Yes, some of the functions only become live once the P3i bridge is fitted as this has the baro module etc. on board.

Peter

AllanBirt

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 10:40:26 pm »
Hi Lee

Are you able to give us an idea when this newer software will be released as I have one of those newer raspberry Pi 2 v1.2. and if it's fully functional I could also test if required.

Kind regards

Allan

schweboo

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 12:35:58 am »
Hi

Does the mode-c functionality need the bridge?

Kind regards

Chris

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:36:54 am »
Does the mode-c functionality need the bridge?

Yes

schweboo

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:49:55 am »
I have ordered a Bridge...

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 10:34:33 am »
You won't regret it Chris.

Opens up a whole new world.... including Mode C/S and the audio alerts.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:41:57 am »
Hi Lee

Are you able to give us an idea when this newer software will be released as I have one of those newer raspberry Pi 2 v1.2. and if it's fully functional I could also test if required.

Kind regards

Allan

Hi Allan
Travelling at the moment, please drop me a line next week.

Thx
Lee