Author Topic: Traffic on a MGL iEFS  (Read 9387 times)

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic on a MGL iEFS
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »
Well I am glad my original post has born fruit. I shall implement this but have one concern with regard to the ground signal. For RS232 to work correctly a common ground is required I.e. The ground on the PAW should be the same as the ground on the iBox. Technically they will be the same but my PAW is nowhere near the iBox. All my Avionics has a common ground but the PAW is in the rear and plugged into a USB (non noisy Charge4) which is grounded on  the battery ground bus. Any suggestions apart from extra wiring to ensure a good signal would be appreciated.
Carlos, PS where abouts are you in Spain, hoping to be flying around in second half of Feb with two other PAW equipped a/c.
David Vale, G-OCAD

crodri

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 08:41:33 pm »
Hi Dave,

I am based near Barcelona, the airfield is LEIG (Igualada). It will be nice to see another Pilotaware blip, since it seems I am the only one around with the equipment ...   ::) Let me know when you come by.

JCurtis

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:38 pm »
Well I am glad my original post has born fruit. I shall implement this but have one concern with regard to the ground signal. For RS232 to work correctly a common ground is required I.e. The ground on the PAW should be the same as the ground on the iBox. Technically they will be the same but my PAW is nowhere near the iBox. All my Avionics has a common ground but the PAW is in the rear and plugged into a USB (non noisy Charge4) which is grounded on  the battery ground bus. Any suggestions apart from extra wiring to ensure a good signal would be appreciated.
Carlos, PS where abouts are you in Spain, hoping to be flying around in second half of Feb with two other PAW equipped a/c.

There is a ground in the RS232 cable between the two boxes, as you need the signal from A to B anyway also connect the RS232 ground wire too. Just do the USB to serial conversion close to the PAW if possible, the RS232 will be better over longer distances than the USB.  It shouldn't really be an issue.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.