Author Topic: use GPS of Android Tablet?  (Read 3021 times)

mrbarnie

use GPS of Android Tablet?
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:58 pm »
Hello,

I just want to ask if its possible that Pilotaware can use the GPS which is used by - in my case - EasyVFR?

THanks
Bernhard

Admin

Re: use GPS of Android Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 07:33:55 pm »
Hi Bernhard

Can I ask why you are trying to achieve this, what is your goal ?

Thx
Lee

mrbarnie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:02 am »
HI Lee,

my thought was to reuse already available components in the system.
Apart from this this could save energy and thus the system could run longer with a usb battery pack.

Cheers
Bernhard

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 09:37:00 am »
Bernhard,

Back in the early days, PilotAware was originally designed to use an 'App' to generate GPS position data from the tablet, but this proved to be far less reliable than using an external GPS source, so the App was dropped in favour of using the external source (as supplied in the PilotAware Classic kit). Not sure we would want to go backwards.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:38:33 am by exfirepro »

znww5

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:59:29 am »
Off the back of this question, is it true that the u-blox GPS can only receive either GNSS or Glonass but not both simultaneously? I ask as that's what the documentation for the chip suggests and it would be nice to have both - presumably the Rpi is only interested in an NMEA data stream, so it would be a matter of the correct driver.

I'd quite like to use my (self-powered) Dual GPS160 over bluetooth, but I suspect that, with the myriad different GPS units out there, support might turn into a nightmare!