Author Topic: Setting up - can't connect to wifi  (Read 12927 times)

Deker

Re: Setting up - can't connect to wifi
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 08:18:47 pm »
How does everyone else run it at home for set up and testing???

I use one of these at home and in the aircraft.
http://www.zendure.com/collections/a-series-portable-chargers/products/a3

ATB
Deker.

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »
Hi Mike,

Very frustrating!! FWIW I use a couple of ANKER 20100mAh battery packs for all my home testing. See here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VJSGT2A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found them totally reliable, with easily 15 hours or more operation. I also used them in the plane in the early days, but now have one of  Jeremy C's 'Charge 4' power supplies fitted in the plane, which I find totally reliable, powering my PAW, iPad Mini, Galaxy phone and GoPro. As we have said earlier, poor power supply accounts for a very high proportion of early day PAW failures, so well worth getting this bit right. Other options mentioned above also good.

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 11:45:53 pm »
I have a 22ah power pack for testing and a 10ah for flight, both 100% reliable. I also have a mains PSU for the Pi that doesn't get used that often. I also use a 0.5m USB lead, the first recommended.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 03:12:20 am »

stillstanding

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 08:38:59 am »
Update on the saga...

Got an Anker PowerCore 20100 yesterday. Charged it up, powered up the PAW and the same thing, can't connect to the hotspot. Reset everything and no change. Then I gave up and moved it all to the dining room table to get it off my desk. And then I found the damn thing works there!!!

When tested before at home its been about 2 feet from my laptop and a couple of metres from the home wifi router. Perhaps interference has been stopping my iPad or iPhone from connecting. I will investigate further to determine if its the router or laptop.

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 10:46:08 am »
Mike,

It could be that your home router is using the same WiFi channel and overpowering your PAW when it is close. I'm not sure how you check what channel your home router uses as this is not an area I have had to venture into so far. Lee or Paul S would be able to advise better, but you can now change the PAW Wi-Fi Channel (in the PAW 'Network' tab). This was introduced specifically to deal with this type of problem, but tread carefully in case it makes things worse, though I'm pretty sure that if you take it well away from your home router you would be able to reconnect and change back.

Lee/Paul - advice appreciated.

Regards

Peter

stillstanding

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:43 am »
Thanks Peter.

That's exactly what I plan to do once the PowerCore is recharged! The channels on my router are set to Auto, but I will specify the 2.4 GHz one and make sure its different.

Mike

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 02:20:22 am »
It's not just a case of interference and channel. If your device is set up to automatically connect to a hotspot, you may find that it shunts back and forth, i.e. it'll sometimes try and connect or at least have a look at the other Wifi network. Some devices look for an active internet connection so if it doesn't find one on your PAW hotspot it'll try looking elsewhere. I'm not sure if/how this would still then show you were connected to the PAW but it seems to be a problem.

Note that a problem I had for a while (seems resolved now) was when the tablet and the PAW were too close together. Move them further apart and everything worked. This was resolved in a software update a long while ago though, but the devices still don't like being too close to each other. I've found that 20cm+ is ok though. (when the problem existed they needed to be more than about a metre and a half apart!).

Note that being on the same channel can be fine, and cause less interference than if on an adjacent channel. It's recommended that all Wifi hotspots are on channels 1, 6, or 11, which will then give the minimum of interference. An explanation is given here:

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Understanding-Wireless-Channels

Your local Wifi map should look something like this:

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 09:54:43 am »
Thanks Paul,

Very useful information. One of these things I've always meant to look into but never had the need, so have never made the time.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:38:07 am by exfirepro »

Ian Melville

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 01:04:20 pm »
If you use an Apple product, then those WiFi monitor apps will not work.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 07:42:48 pm »
Doesn't need to. Just shows the use of channels 1, 6 and 11 for optimum interference avoidance.

Just use one of those.

stillstanding

Re: Setting up - can't connect to wifi - SOLVED
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:37 am »
OK, so here is hopefully the end of the saga with my findings - wifi interference!!!

Brief recap. I bought a PAW Classic recently, planning to use in my aircraft using my cigar socket/USB adapter, and an Apple 10W charger at home for test and set up. However trying to set up at home I couldn't connect to the PAW wifi using my iPad Mini, iPhone, PC laptop or MacBook Pro.

However I could get the PAW to work off a similar charger my the office. Tried again at home (but with hindsight only in the same room as the wifi router!) and it wouldn't work.

New problem, the PAW works fine from my cigar lighter adapter. However on power checks when I check the engine at idle the low voltage warning light comes on and the PAW does a restart!

So I bought an Anker PowerCore 20100 for use in the air, but also tried it for home testing and found exactly the same problem, couldn't get it to connect on wifi. This is testing at my desk at home as before.

Now with the freedom to move away from power sockets I tried in a different room. Low and behold it worked perfectly!

Then came the tip about wifi interference. I use an Apple Extreme Base Station, and the 2.4 MHz band was set to Auto. Changed it to band 1. PAW now connects first time every time to any device. I have set the PAW to channel 11 to give even more spacing. When the PAW wouldn't connect I was 2-3 metres away from the router, so the interference was considerable. And now it will work at my desk powered by the Apple 10W charger too!

Thank you everyone for your help.

Now all I've got to sort out is to stop the PAW and battery sliding around in my cockpit!

exfirepro

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 01:04:17 pm »
Well done Mike. Glad you have got to the bottom of your problems.

With regard to stopping things sliding about, you could of course use Velcro, (the hooks stick quite well to fabric or carpet - not an option in my plane) but if you don't want to stick Velcro to anything, there are various 'non-slip' pads available designed to stop Sat Navs etc slipping off car dashboards, which might work.

Regards

Peter

efrenken

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 08:08:14 pm »
... there are various 'non-slip' pads available designed to stop Sat Navs etc slipping off car dashboards, which might work.

Those non-slip pads may stop things from sliding around in a car, but they are not suitable for use in a plane. When flying through severe turbulences you'll wish you would have fixed every single part in the cockpit.

My 2p.

Eric

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:34 pm »
Suckers!

Sorry, not an insult, this is what I'm going to do with mine. I've bought a new case and I'm going to drill some holes and fix in some suckers. Haven't done it yet though.