Author Topic: Mode S behaviour - normal?  (Read 9786 times)

Chris7777

Re: Mode S behaviour - normal?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 02:48:06 pm »
I don't want to hijack this thread, but thanks for your replies Lee and Peter. I'll see what they say.
Chris

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »
You're welcome.

Regards

Peter  :)

Smaragd

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:06:19 pm »
Just back from abroad so had missed the last few messages. The plain TRT800 has been unfit for purpose since it was first issued as publicity then described it as ADS-B ready.

I have previously had conflicting information from Frau Spengler about SW 4.8, and also had a message from her about the new release without describing what it applied to or what it did. I look forward to hearing more, and about any success in getting Funke finally to provide an ADS-B functioning capability.

Kevin W

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
Just sent my Funke TRT800 off for an update (Offered FOC after I complained at the proposed charge) - will see what version I get back and how well it works!

Cheers
Kev

Smaragd

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 09:16:02 am »
Please let us know the outcome! What was your firmware version at the time of sending?

Chris7777

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »
funke want 100 euros to upgrade my TRT800 so that ADS-B out works, even though it was upgraded in Oct 16! (It was 199 euros but they will give me 50% discount)

My answer may be a four letter word - TRIG :)
(I haven't decided yet.)

Chris

Smaragd

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 09:55:33 pm »
Thanks for the update. What upgrade was done in Oct 16?

Chris7777

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 12:19:38 am »
Thanks for your reply, but to go back to your original question. I haven't experienced your problem with STBY. My manual said that the -

'Squitter transmitted at random intervals uniformly distributed over the range from 0.8 to 1.2 seconds'

I tried my TXPDR in the hangar and my PAW ground station (with autogenerated hex code). The PAW didn't show anything on STBY or ACS which wasn't surprising.
I put the aircraft well out onto the airfield, where it would get the occasional interrogation and I could see it on PAW, so mine seems to need interrogations.

My new manual which came with the upgrade to v5.2 says -
'STBY 􀃆 „Standby“
Transponder only responds to directly addressed Mode S interrogations, squitter remains active.'

What does squitter remains active mean? Is this what you are seeing on STBY?

The new manual also says -
'Transmission of position data is indicated by “p“ (type of squitter) in the upper line in the test mode'
but this doesn't work, if I unplug the GPS it still shows 'P'.

My original problem was having ATC unable to see me even though my TXPDR display was normal and even after I had cycled the power.

To answer your question - my TXPDR was updated in October 2016 to Mod 10/11, software version 3.7 to 5.2, Firmware to 102 and they added a new Rec board. Cost about £300.

I emailed funke to say that according reports on this forum, ADSB-OUT was not work correctly with v5.2 and they said that it can be upgraded to v5.3. They didn't say "Why do you need 5.3 because 5.2 is ok". so they are essentially admitted that 5.2 was not completely correct. The upgrade will cost 99.50 euros plus my postage and bank charges, but Once bitten ...

Chris

Smaragd

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:25 am »
Chris - thanks for the update. It seems absurd that Funke supply you with a solution which doesn't provide you with ADS-B Out (which ought to have been there from Day 1, according to their literature at the time - "ADSB-ready"), and then you have to pay again for the update. I think I'll wait until things have definitely settled down and someone actually has a working basic TRT800 with ADS-B Out; don't want to be the guinea pig.

On my original query, my understanding is in my message of April 5. But as my status line in PAW shows CS... on STBY, it appears that squitter in STBY includes a limited message squitter.

bnmont

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:32 pm »
I believe my Funke transponder works OK.

I took part in the original Nats ADSB trial using a handheld etrek gps to give the positional fix. I was tracked by Nats and they confirmed all was ok

On 01/10/2015 14:54, gps.trial@nats.co.uk wrote:

Hi Brian,

Just a quick message to let you know that your ADS-B has passed our criteria for the NIC and the SIL values so we are pleased to say your modification has been completed successfully.

Many thanks for your participation in the MODE-S GPS trial and we look forward to keeping in touch with you in future.

Best Regards,

Adrian Price

I have since incorporated PAW and use this to feed the Gps data  and all appears to function as expected. Visible to ATC and showing on flightradar24

I have a Funke TRT800H version 5.2  102 software.