Author Topic: PA28, C172, C182 remote aerial install  (Read 6741 times)

onebounce

PA28, C172, C182 remote aerial install
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:31:52 pm »
Hi

Just a quick post - my first flight with the PAW aerials and GPS mounted remotely. The PAW itself is dropped into the px side bulkhead pocket and the aerials sucker mounted to the px side of the windshield, with the gps velco'd to the coaming...

I would post some pics, but couldn't work out how to from my iPhone !

My list of bits and bobs is as follows:

2 x PAW dipole aerials from Pilotaware. Although using the dipole of that length is not ideal for receiving ADSB and Mode C/S it seems these signals are relatively strong, and seems to work fine, from here:

http://pilotawarehardware.com/product/dipolecouplet-antenna/

1 x SMA female to MCX male adapter

image2.JPG
to allow the connection of one of the dipoles to the dongle, from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262496365620

1 x MCX right angle M - F connector
image3.JPG

to allow connection of the other dipole to the PAW aerial connection, from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111677577302

1 x pack of 20, 20mm suckers from here

20mm Round Button Suction Cups (20 Pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008B65K2I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FJZoyb3P5AWF1

2 x patented, bespoke dipole-to-sucker adapters (made from some scrap wood from our old staircase ....)
image4.JPG

1 x USB extension lead for the GPS,
image5.JPG
 from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370782294942

Anker 13400 battery pack, from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012SRLKZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_zYZoyb5B01KBD

And in use, if a little untidy, the PAW unit being out if the way in the px side bulkhead pocket..

image6.JPG

Suggestions how to simplify / improve this further most welcome...

My next challenge is to find a decent enclosure for the PAW that allows all the connections to be from one end as that would make it easier to connect up the aerials and the gps. Suggestions welcome :-)

Regards

Andy

Keithvinning

Re: PA28, C172, C182 remote aerial install
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
Hi Andy

Thanks for this. Its very good of you to let everyone know of what you are doing to install PiotAware in your aircraft. Perhaps over time you will let us know about the performance with this set up. As you say the ADSB signals should be strong enough even though the antenna is not optimum.

Let us know how you get on with the box

Thanks

Keith

onebounce

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:50:16 pm »
Photo attached...

onebounce

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:54:50 pm »
Ok, so I'm rubbish at attaching pictures !

But the performance of the PAW with the aerials mounted high on the px side of the windshield seems good. It displayed all the traffic on our evening bimble from Blackbushe - no other PAW  users about, but plenty of Mode C/S and ADSB displayed.

I prefer to have to unit tucked out of the way, so remote mounting of the aerials and the gps works for me.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:12:57 pm »
Hi Andy,

Don't beat yourself up about the pictures. It took me ages to work out how to post them properly!

Just found an alternative type of sucker for your antennas which shouldn't need the wooden blocks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Packet-suction-sucker-suckers/dp/B005KQE352/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1480287769&sr=8-6&keywords=Side+hole+suction+cup

Other versions are available with smaller pilot holes, which could be zip tied to the antennas with small cable ties. Just a thought.

The important thing is that you have found a system which suits you and made it work.

Regards

Peter

Ancien

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:46:13 pm »
I have been playing around with antennae too.

The 1st photo shows the standard end feed dipole in my vintage high wing four-seater.
This works very well but I thought it a bit clunky.

The standard centre feed dipole advertised didn't look much tidier so I made one myself. The next photo is my first attempt. Much less intrusive in the field of view but still a bit thick.

The third photo is my latest dipole. The horns are 0.75mm rods so it is about as unobtrusive as I can make it.

The last photo shows both antennae.
The 1090 antenna [ from the SDR dongle] is just an extension lead with 69mm of the shielding stripped off at the end and stiffened with heat shrink. It works well with all transponder modes and I would recommend this for people using PAW as a portable as the plastic suction cup can be mounted on any window.

In the spring I plan on trying an external antenna [approval needed] so there's hours of fun yet!

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:52:14 pm »
Ancien

Thanks for your maiden post. We all look forward to hear how you are getting on.

Regards

Keith

Arcticash

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:18:36 pm »
Ancien, Looks good!

I'm toying with the idea of using a couple of the antennae from the PAW shop however my only concern is the 3m cable length, how did you find managing this? Do they still work okay if you just bundle the cables up and zip tie them?

I'm currently looking for some suckers that fit my Pi case so i can just stick the whole thing to the passenger side back windows in a PA28 by the luggage door (portable build - rental aircraft) but your idea with sticking the antannae to the windows and putting the PAW box in the pocket seems like a good one, as currently i just poke the fixed antannae and gps dongle on a short extension out the top of my flight bag, its not pretty but all seems to work okay!

Ash

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 10:56:54 pm »

I'm toying with the idea of using a couple of the antennae from the PAW shop however my only concern is the 3m cable length, how did you find managing this? Do they still work okay if you just bundle the cables up and zip tie them?

I'm currently looking for some suckers that fit my Pi case so i can just stick the whole thing to the passenger side back windows in a PA28 by the luggage door (portable build - rental aircraft) but your idea with sticking the antannae to the windows and putting the PAW box in the pocket seems like a good one, as currently i just poke the fixed antannae and gps dongle on a short extension out the top of my flight bag, its not pretty but all seems to work okay!

Ash,

There is no problem shortening the cables by neatly coiling them and zip tying them into a coil, but coax cables don't take kindly to being bent tightly as they can easily become kinked - which affects the impedance matching, so go carefully.

There seems to be a goodly range of suckers out there - I found loads of options on Amazon / Ebay.

Regards

Peter

Ancien

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »
Arcticash

For the SDR antenna you can modify the supplied one without any extension.

You will need a suction cup ,available here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suction-Cups-Any-Type-Wide-Range-Clear-Plastic-Rubber-Window-Suckers-/200790859945?var=500253280499

See 1st photo

Prise out the disc  under the antenna base and get rid of the magnet. Drill disc to fit  a small bracket as in photo 2. re-insert the disc and you can stick it on any window [vertically]. You can see I have shortened the detachable bit so that the piano wire is 50mm giving a total antenna length of 69mm.[now tuned to 1090mhz]
See here:
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,438.msg6096.html#msg6096

If you want to be more compact see my last post and the antenna on the right. Photo 3 is a mock up of this.

You can get extension leads of all sorts of length cheaply on ebay from UK sources. [Make sure SMA connectors are not RP -reversed polarity] You can mount the big antenna on a suction cup in the same way - just don't put them close together.

Richard

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:06 am »
Just a note on the sma extention, if you order one please check it with a ohms meter the one I received from eBay had a fault in the the centre pin and outer where in contact so it could have damaged the PAW bridge, and it also would have not worked in operation.

Shortening the extensions is easy with the correct crimps (around £15) and  new sma (£2.50) you will also need good eyesight too.

The above antenna mounting ideas are very good keep the ideas coming it all helps others on the same quest.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:20:02 am by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 08:36:31 am »
Shortening the extensions is easy with the correct crimps (around £15) and  new sma (£2.50) you will also need good eyesight too.

Richard,

Following this thread with great interest. Great to see new ideas.

Do you have a source for an SMA crimp tool at this price level? When I looked online recently, the cost of crimp tools (e.g. from RS) was prohibitive for small scale work, which is a great pity.

In my case these days good eyesight for detailed close work = high magnification glasses, but hey ho, that's getting older I suppose. Just have to keep smiling  :)

Regards

Peter

Richard

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 09:08:02 am »
Peter, Sorry I got the price wrong  :-[ it was £18.10 it will crimp the small inner pin then the outer crimp too putting on good quality Glued heat shrink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391483809348?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry I cant help with the eyesight   8)
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:45 am »
Thanks Richard  :)