Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3  (Read 3581 times)

Arcticash

Raspberry Pi 3
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:17:38 am »
Hi,
I'm new here and i was hoping to build a pilot aware device with a raspberry pi 3 i have lying around, I note that this is not certified to the general public yet however is this something that is being looked at in BETA as obviously the pi 3 has more computing power but also a built in bluetooth & wifi chip, removing the need for a wifi USB dongle.

Thanks,
Ash

exfirepro

Re: Raspberry Pi 3
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 09:38:49 am »
Hi Ash,

Unfortunately due to its design, the Pi3 is a significantly different beast to the Pi1 B+ and Pi2B for which PilotAware was designed, so would require significant rewriting to the PAW software. This was raised with Lee by several people at the LAA Rally, but in view of the continuing availability of Pi2s is not considered appropriate at the present time. Sorry.

Your best bet is to use a Pi2 or better still buy a Classic Kit, which contains all the correct parts from known good sources, pre-assembled and tested, together with the 869MHz transceiver Bridge and 1st year software licence.

Regards

Peter

Arcticash

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:56:41 am »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the quick reply, I did have a look at the store but was hoping I could throw something together myself for a little cheaper!

If there is any development in terms of moving onto the new hardware then I would be happy to help you test it :) for now i guess ill have another look at the kit prices

Thanks
Ash

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:51:25 am »
Hi again Ash,

I realise home-builders (I include myself here) can source cheap(er) parts from the Internet and build our own. In the early days that was the only way to do it, but there were many problems due to chipsets in for example WiFi dongles not being what they claimed to be and as a result not working properly (if at all!). This led to the Recommended Hardware List, which in turn led to the guys marketing the Classic Kit, which comprises all parts from approved sources, pre-assembled and tested before dispatch and so 'guaranteed to work'. They do make a very small markup to cover their costs, but as the Kit includes the P3i Bridge board (not available elsewhere), first year software licence and support - it really does represent great value.

Regards

Peter
(p.s. Although I am a member of the development team, my interest is purely from the flight safety angle - I have no financial interest here).