Author Topic: PAW website  (Read 8915 times)

Richard W

Re: PAW website
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 12:35:19 am »
I am idly curious as well. I was initially attracted to PAW as an open project, using an off the shelf transceiver with a published interface, and a published message protocol.  However, with the demise of the ARF, is there any point in publishing the P3i message protocol? Is there any means of accessing the message stream so that we can use it?  Or will the specification and interface to the new bridge transceiver be made public?  Without these things, is PAW any more open than FLARM?

Richard

Admin

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 08:06:02 am »
PAW and FLARM, are totally different in this respect.

If you tune a software defined radio to the PAW 869.525mhz or FLARM (un-published) frequencies, you will get a series of bytes.
The PAW bytes directly represent the data held in the protocol, the FLARM bytes represent nothing intelligable (un-published) . This is because the FLARM data is encrypted using a set of keys which are kept secret (un-published), and should you be able to decrypt the data, the format of the unencrypted data is secret (un-published) .

So based upon this, is it really fair to question whether we are more open than FLARM ?

If anyone were to try to create a software defined radio implementation for pilot aware I would actively encourage this and help in any way I could. Unfortunately I do not have the necessary skills to do this myself

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:36:26 am by Admin »

Richard W

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:42 am »
Thanks Lee, that's very encouraging. I was under the misapprehension that the transmissions were tied to the bridge transceiver in some way, it's good to know that in principle an SDR could be used. I don't have the skills either, and I am resisting the urge to gain them :)  I would rather be flying.

Thanks for the explanation,
Richard

Stu B

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 08:02:37 pm »
I think the new site looks and feels very professional and is a positive change. Inevitably there at be a few teething troubles but I'm sure you will soon get them fixed. Two little points I noted were that I had trouble scrolling some bits of the audio alerts document (the two boxes detailing the settings options) (using Chrome), and on the Contacts page, the links to this forum (and to the nav apps) is just off the bottom of the screen when it opens and the layout is such that unless you look at the scroll bar it looks like it is just a screen giving your email etc and nothing more.