Author Topic: Internet  (Read 5059 times)

cfarrell

Internet
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:31:13 pm »
Is there a way that I can configure my pilot aware, that it can use my mobile phone to have an internet connection across the wifi?

I'm thinking of two possibilities.

1. Perhaps some way that my mobile can join the PilotAware wifi network, and share it's mobile connection so that other devices connected to the PAW can use the internet?

2. Instead of using the PAW network, my phone creates a hotspot, to which other devices and the pilot aware can connect (and PAW shares the data across this network)?

My reason for this is to be able to download weather updates and use the Flight tracking feature in EasyVFR at the same time as PAW.

Thanks
Colm

rg

Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 04:20:42 pm »
I guess this will depend on your phone but my 4g iPad still has internet access when connected to the PAW wifi hotspot

cfarrell

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:26:35 pm »
Hi RG,

In your case you are getting your internet connection from your 4G tablet.

I don't have a mobile connection on my tablet, and would normally get it from my phone if needed (by creating a hotspot on my phone and connecting my tablet to it via WiFi).

But obviously the tablet can only be connected to one WiFi hotspot at a time. Hence I need to choose between PAW and my phone.

That I was hoping is that there is some facility to use PAW as a WiFi client rather than a WiFi host. This is the usual way of solving this problem. But I can't see any way to have PAW connect to another network; only have it create its own one.

rg

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 04:50:51 pm »
ok understood.  can you tether via bluetooth?    not done it for while but sure that used to be thing

cfarrell

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 10:37:41 pm »
Unfortunately Bluetooth isn't an option.

I've an Apple iPad and an Android phone. Apple won't talk to Android phones over Bluetooth.

But it's not just this. Similar issues will arise for people using connected cockpits (eg Dynon connected to EasyVFR, or Garmins connected to Garmin Pilot).

Unless I'm mistaken, allowing the device to connect as a client rather than a host, is how Golze solved the same problem with their ADL sat weather devices. https://www.ing-golze.de/products_adl140.jsp

It would be nice if PAW had a solution for allowing data through too.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:29 pm »
Unfortunately Bluetooth isn't an option.

I've an Apple iPad and an Android phone. Apple won't talk to Android phones over Bluetooth.

Hi Colm,

I use an iPad Mini 3 and Android phone and until today was labouring under the same misunderstanding until after following the other thread currently on here re Bluetooth Connection For SkyDemon Internet Access...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,606.0.html

... After reading how Ian Melville connected his iPad to the Internet via a Bluetooth link to his iPhone, I tried it myself this afternoon with my iPad Mini and Android Galaxy S5 and as reported in the other thread can confirm that it works great - see my posts on that thread, which also cover why the PAW WiFi can't be configured as a client. Unfortunate, but there it is.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:03:25 pm by exfirepro »

cfarrell

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 11:07:03 pm »
Hi Peter,

I've tried many time to make my iPad talk to my phone via Bluetooth without success. But I'll give it a go doing exactly what you say tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks
Colm

cfarrell

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:13 pm »
Thanks Peter,

I tried your instructions (the only thing different to what I've tried before was turning off wifi an enabling the mobile hotspot. Don't see these should make a different, but I tried anyway!)

Alas, it made no difference. My Galaxy S6 & iPad 3 refuse to talk over Bluetooth.

I don't think "To download updates, PAW's WiFi would need to be configured as a 'Client' and as Lee has told us several times in the past, it has to be configured as a 'host' so it can supply the necessary data to the Nav systems." is the full store though.

Plenty of devices act as clients and supply information to other devices across the network. But there may be something else going on for which the PAW needs to be the host.

It's a pity though, was it will lead to complications as more devices become connected in the cockpit, where people have to choose between their PAW and some other device that also insists on being the host.