Author Topic: LX Flarm Mouse  (Read 3947 times)

Steve6443

LX Flarm Mouse
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:27:22 pm »
Hi Lee,

I'm interested to hear that you are looking at decoding FLARM signals by using a Flarm Mouse - would the above mentioned unit be suitable? If so, how would the total power requirements look like? I see that the Flarm Mouse is looking for a 3A connection, the Pi needs a 2A connector so that excludes the use of a battery pack, correct? At the same time, assuming the need to use an onboard power sockets, are there any thoughts of taking the Flarm Mouse connector and 'adopting' it to ensure that cable can connect to the Pi providing that with power as well, coming from a typical cigarette lighter socket? Or are we looking at getting our own soldering irons out?

Secondly, what are your thoughts on cabling and space on the top of the glare shield? My thoughts would be to secure the units under the seats, out of sight but use antenna extenders to place these in an area where they have decent views outside - would this be possible?

Keithvinning

Re: LX Flarm Mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:23:06 pm »
Hi Chris,

I'm interested to hear that you are looking at decoding FLARM signals by using a Flarm Mouse - would the above mentioned unit be suitable? If so, how would the total power requirements look like? I see that the Flarm Mouse is looking for a 3A connection, the Pi needs a 2A connector so that excludes the use of a battery pack, correct? At the same time, assuming the need to use an onboard power sockets, are there any thoughts of taking the Flarm Mouse connector and 'adopting' it to ensure that cable can connect to the Pi providing that with power as well, coming from a typical cigarette lighter socket? Or are we looking at getting our own soldering irons out?

The Flarm Mouse runs from 12V so would not be run from your power block as the Pilotaware is. Also I see that the power is
36mA not 3A. It doesn't transmit after all so won't want much power.

Mouse Spec
Power supply
Power input 6-18V DC
Consumption 36mA at 12V, without flarm indicator

Secondly, what are your thoughts on cabling and space on the top of the glare shield? My thoughts would be to secure the units under the seats, out of sight but use antenna extenders to place these in an area where they have decent views outside - would this be possible?]Secondly, what are your thoughts on cabling and space on the top of the glare shield? My thoughts would be to secure the units under the seats, out of sight but use antenna extenders to place these in an area where they have decent views outside - would this be possible?

Yes this is great idea that lots of folks have been doing. For my SportsCruiser I have all the bits installed behind the dashboard, powered from a hidden Anker cigarette lighter USB PSU which is perfect. The antennas are external via 2 metre cables and the GPS is remote located on top of the dashboard. I have a USB extension cable so that I can update the software via a memory stick and finally a 2 metre audio cable for the voice alerts. Works great 30Km+ for the PilotAware signals and 200K+Km for the ADS-B signals.

I wish I had a Trig or Funke transponder then I could simply connect to that and have ADS-B out but I have a Garmin transponder to which I cannot connect :-(. Wont make that mistake on my next build as all the above plus a FLARM Mouse to see the gliders must be the most comprehensive EC set up available.

Don't forget if you drill holes in the aircraft you will need a minor mod from your licensing authority.

Cheers

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:44:33 pm »
The Flarm Mouse runs from 12V so would not be run from your power block as the Pilotaware is. Also I see that the power is 36mA not 3A. It doesn't transmit after all so won't want much power.

Is this the case? I thought it did transmit. It claims to have to 4-8km range in the manual.

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 08:48:42 pm »
Steve

My mistake apologies. Yes it does.

Keith