British Forum > General Discussion

USB - RS232

(1/1)

ianfallon:
Hi - am I right in thinking:

A) This is to provide GPS info into your mode S transponder so it can transmit position info. We have a funkwerk mode S transponder which I think may work with this so is interesting.

B) It's not currently legal to connect this (this is what the NATS ADS-B trial is doing)

C) Without this, only other PilotAware devices will see position info for you.

Also, this is where the model B (rather than B+) stops working as a solution as 3 (or 4 with the GPS dongle) USB ports are required.

Admin:
Hmm, lots of questions here

--- Quote ---A) This is to provide GPS info into your mode S transponder so it can transmit position info. We have a funkwerk mode S transponder which I think may work with this so is interesting.

--- End quote ---

Can you tell me what you are referring to ?
I think you may be talking about the early work I did to get an RS232 stream of NMEA sentences out
of PilotAware ?
If so, I prototyped this a while back, and managed to feed a stream of NMEA sentences to the RS232 port on my PC
This could be connected to a Mode S Transponder if desired.
Some configuration setup needs to be done, some transponders use different baud rates.

--- Quote ---B) It's not currently legal to connect this (this is what the NATS ADS-B trial is doing)
--- End quote ---
I hear that this ruling is to be relaxed very shortly

--- Quote ---C) Without this, only other PilotAware devices will see position info for you.
--- End quote ---
Correct, as received on the P3I RF

--- Quote ---Also, this is where the model B (rather than B+) stops working as a solution as 3 (or 4 with the GPS dongle) USB ports are required.
--- End quote ---
This does confuse me, I am using a Pi B+, this works fine, are you thinking that a Pi B+ does not work with PilotAware ?

The issue with PilotAware, is that it does not yet work with the Pi 2

Thx
Lee

ianfallon:

--- Quote from: Admin on September 13, 2015, 01:30:27 pm ---Hmm, lots of questions here

--- Quote ---A) This is to provide GPS info into your mode S transponder so it can transmit position info. We have a funkwerk mode S transponder which I think may work with this so is interesting.

--- End quote ---

Can you tell me what you are referring to ?
I think you may be talking about the early work I did to get an RS232 stream of NMEA sentences out
of PilotAware ?
If so, I prototyped this a while back, and managed to feed a stream of NMEA sentences to the RS232 port on my PC
This could be connected to a Mode S Transponder if desired.
Some configuration setup needs to be done, some transponders use different baud rates.

--- Quote ---B) It's not currently legal to connect this (this is what the NATS ADS-B trial is doing)
--- End quote ---
I hear that this ruling is to be relaxed very shortly

--- Quote ---C) Without this, only other PilotAware devices will see position info for you.
--- End quote ---
Correct, as received on the P3I RF

--- Quote ---Also, this is where the model B (rather than B+) stops working as a solution as 3 (or 4 with the GPS dongle) USB ports are required.
--- End quote ---
This does confuse me, I am using a Pi B+, this works fine, are you thinking that a Pi B+ does not work with PilotAware ?

The issue with PilotAware, is that it does not yet work with the Pi 2

Thx
Lee

--- End quote ---

Ah OK - I wasn't sure how far the USB ->RS232 / mode S transponder work has come along.

Sorry - just an observation that the Model B with 2 USB ports will probably work with a Wifi dongle and the ADS-B TV dongle but obviously could not then have a GPS dongle or USB -> RS232 connection added as 3 or 4 USB ports would be necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version