Author Topic: USB-GPS Working in PilotAware  (Read 77325 times)

Richard

Re: USB-GPS Working in PilotAware
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 08:52:38 pm »
I have connected directly to the unit as you did in one of your earlier photos.
So far I have been unable to find the correct pigtail as to what you have used. Where did you obtain your from?

Yes I agree the direct connection is loose and not a good fix. An alternative would be to simply connect with glued heat shrink to secure them together with out soldering together which is not really an option.
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:30 am »
Richard

I am interested in how well your GPS/UBLOX is performing ?

Mine took a loooongggg time to get its initial fix, way more than the supposed 12.5 minutes.
Now that it appears to have stored the ephermeris/almanac data it is working superbly

Initial fix from cold is about 1 minute - usually the time PilotAware takes to boot.
interested to know your findings

Thx
Lee

Wadoadi

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 09:45:20 pm »
just to chime in on both the GPS and the DVB-T aerial!

I have only thus far had the GPS indoors and it has had a good fix, but tonight i went for a drive with it and had the PI plugged into a 6.3 A * 3 USB adapter it was fine at first but then no flashing light.  I'm wondering if it is power related and if the PI  is shutting down the power to the port or the voltage is dropping to the port? I say this because on the way home no issues the only difference was I did not plug my iPhone in to the USB adapter in the car!

re the DVB-T aerial at home i have this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADS-B-1090Mhz-Antenna-MCX-Plug-2-5dbi-High-gains-MOUNT-Connector-Booster-Magnet-/201090043498?hash=item2ed1e68e6a and it works great picking up contacts 50-75 miles out but with this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141743253671?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i get nothing at home or out in the car.

Admin

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »
just to chime in on both the GPS and the DVB-T aerial!

I have only thus far had the GPS indoors and it has had a good fix, but tonight i went for a drive with it and had the PI plugged into a 6.3 A * 3 USB adapter it was fine at first but then no flashing light.  I'm wondering if it is power related and if the PI  is shutting down the power to the port or the voltage is dropping to the port? I say this because on the way home no issues the only difference was I did not plug my iPhone in to the USB adapter in the car!

re the DVB-T aerial at home i have this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADS-B-1090Mhz-Antenna-MCX-Plug-2-5dbi-High-gains-MOUNT-Connector-Booster-Magnet-/201090043498?hash=item2ed1e68e6a and it works great picking up contacts 50-75 miles out but with this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141743253671?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT i get nothing at home or out in the car.

OK, this is very interesting, I have had a similar experience.
I have a dual USB adapter, when I plug ONLY PilotAware into this - all is good
If I add my iPhone 6 Plus - it is bad, and this is what I see...

My Adapter has an internal cutoff, when I plug in the iPhone 6, it draws a huge current
triggering the limiter in the aux plug, which shuts off for about 5 seconds, this of course
kills PilotAware.
My USB adapter also has an LED indicating when it is providing power, if I plug just my
iPhone into the adapter I can watch the LED, on.....off....on....off....

This sounds like exactly the same issue you are seeing !

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 04:08:42 pm »
I am interested in how well your GPS/UBLOX is performing ?

Mine took a loooongggg time to get its initial fix, way more than the supposed 12.5 minutes.
Now that it appears to have stored the ephermeris/almanac data it is working superbly

Initial fix from cold is about 1 minute - usually the time PilotAware takes to boot.
interested to know your findings

Lee,
   I managed to complete a moving test today (frustrated I could not Fly because of the air Show)

OK.... First boot... GPS got a fix from cold in exactly 0:2:20 mins
 Linking direct to the Iphone, without colisionAware even installed. Problem... No GPS received to the IPhone?????
OK, I plugged the GPS/UBLOX into the top right USB port (Looking directly at the ports) BINGO.... all worked well with no dropout at all.
Return journey, Started the PilotAware again in the same configuration... All working. I thought it was a fluke so put the GPS/UBLOX back into the top left USB and it will not work. Just seeking GPS, I replug back into the top right while hot and instantly all was up and running. ????? On the return journey it did drop GPS, so I simply pressed go fly again and all was well, So 1 drop on a 30min trial.
I have the DVB TV plugged into the bottom left port under the GPS and the wifi in the bottom Right port.
Can this make a difference to how it is working?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 06:51:24 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
Gps is currently hardwired to top right in released build
Next release you can plug wherever you like

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 04:42:10 pm »
Haaaaa. OK. Thank you Lee, I did not Know. I will Try a flight test tomorrow.
Richard.
Europa XS

ibelmore

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 06:33:32 pm »
Hi Lee

Been following this with interest, I now have my GPS/GLONASS U-blox 7

Could I get a copy of the GPS Beta  please.

Ian

Admin

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »
Hi Lee

Been following this with interest, I now have my GPS/GLONASS U-blox 7

Could I get a copy of the GPS Beta  please.

Ian

Hi Ian
This should be in 20150919. Just need to make sure you use the top right usb port
Look on the pilotaware home page, and you should see info regarding gps.

I should have a new release up by Sunday with the latest code

Thx
Lee

ibelmore

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 07:28:38 pm »
Hi Lee

Top right and now it works well.

Thanks
Ian

ibelmore

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
One more question for those more technically astute than me, how can I tell if sky demon is getting its gps signal from the pilotaware unit or the inbuilt gps?

Is it possible to disable the iPads onboard gps? (Version with SIM card)

If I turn location services off, I lose all gps info.

Ian

Richard

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 08:06:11 pm »
Ian
   If you turn off cellular data this will turn off your GPS in the iPad or iPhone. Or your pilot aware needs the collision aware app to get GPS from your iPad. So if you can get GPS connected to your iPad without running the collision aware app you will be connected with the GPS on your pilotaware device.

I hope this makes sense.
Richard.
Europa XS

ibelmore

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »
Richard

Thanks for your reply, I used to think that but I gave been running my iPad with cellular data off for over a year and it still receives a GPS signal.

Maybe it's because there is no SIM card installed. I will try putting one in and leaving the data off.

Edited to add, still getting a GPS signal from the iPad with SIM card in and mobile data off.

Ian
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:27:04 pm by ibelmore »

Richard

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2015, 08:54:52 pm »
Ho. I will try that at this end. Looks like I gave you some fals info. Sorry I should have tested first. But what is correct, SD will not receive the GPS data without the collision aware app running. I'm assuming you are connecting via FLARM to your Pilotaware device.
Richard.
Europa XS

ibelmore

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »
Richard

Yes, connect via collision aware and Flarm.

Back to the rugby

Ian