Author Topic: Bluetooth Audio  (Read 2824 times)

AlanG

Bluetooth Audio
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:59:02 pm »
*NOTE* This post was moved from the thread "Colour Change" so most of the contextual reason for this post will be found in that thread

Hi Lee  (and others on the bluetooth subject)

There are some Bluetooth audio transmitters available cheaply. They are self powered or run off USB. Add one of these and bingo a bluetooth PAW.

Steve

I thought about this, but if you are using bluetooth headsets - who does the negotation ?
in other words you normally have some menu dialog on your host device that browses for BT devices and connects.

In this instance you effectively have 2 devices, how do they get connected ?

If it is your iPad or iPhone, not a problemn, but for a Bluetooth headset, the smarts need to be added to pilotaware to
browse to your headset and connect

Thx
Lee

Prior to voice alerts being implemented in PAW I was trying to achieve a bluetooth link from my EasyVFR nav system to my headset.
Unfortunately most, if not all of these Bluetooth transmitters/receivers have a battery saving sleep mode that kicks in after a few seconds of no sound being passed.  I tried one direct into the spare input of our intercom and when linked to the tablet it did work but alas most of the voice alerts were clipped unacceptably at the beginning until the bluetooth device "woke up".
 I was in contact with Rob Weijers (Lee's equivalent at EasyVFR) regarding this only to discover that he was also trying to achieve the same.  He has now introduced a "wake up" sound to the front of all of the voice alerts to prevent the clipping of the warnings when using Bluetooth.  It is selectable within the programme settings so as not to annoy normal audio users.

It works on the ground but I have not had a proper airborne test with this setup yet with other radio traffic.

I have no doubt that the same would be true of the voice alerts in PAW if using these devices to transmit Audio to your headset.

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:02:01 pm by AlanG »

AlanG

Re: Bluetooth Audio
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »
Bump