Author Topic: CollisionAware Dropout / Disconnect  (Read 33771 times)

John Parker

Re: CollisionAware Dropout / Disconnect
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2015, 11:06:07 pm »
I think it fair to say Dave and I have had solid results today. The MNEA app works great and never unintentionally dropped out today on my internal GPS and Dave's external GPS. I had to make an Hours trip tonight and an hour back. I had SD and PA running all the time and both time I pass Dave house it pick it up as traffic. I feeling confident enough to leave it running all day outside tomorrow and hopefully Sunday as no rain is forecast if you want to flyby Fenland.

The iPad does need a little more respect. As PilotAware has command of the GPS at some point in the chain its not so tolerant of you switching screens in nav mode if you want to check stuff for long and will loose GPS. Saying that it does reconnect very quick.

Dare I say I'm feeling very happy with it,and tomorrows our flying test day

John

Pete

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 11:15:50 pm »
Just to reiterate John's comments.
I have now successfully loaded NMEA GPS deleted Collision Aware and was amazed at the speed at which SD was able to lock in to "Seeking Satellites".
I have had 2 units running for 2hrs , one on iPad and the other on iPhone5, no issues at all.
Tomorrow is the big test flying with Falcoguy and John.
Thanks for sharing all the info on the forum.

Thanks Lee for the quick response to Config settings of NMEA GPS.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:33:02 pm by Pete »
The mind is like an Umbrella, it only works when it is open!

stephenmelody

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 11:38:10 pm »
If you're flying West, my device will be on all day just SSE of hucknall disused...

John, i got your PM, I'll try and call you Sunday if possible - bit late tonight.

Cheers,

SM

Admin

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »
This is great news on NMEA GPS.

I think I am looking at taking the same UDP approach in CollisionAware, and I will suggest the same to ChrisMills for the Android version

In my configuration I am belt & two pairs of braces !
I am running NMEA-GPS + CollisionAware + USB/GPS
It is a bit ridiculous, but I want to test all 3 in parallel

Thx
Lee

John Parker

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 05:13:13 pm »
I have left the set-up on top of one of my steel containers all day for perfect line of sight. I put it on at 10.00 this morning and now it still working very happily recieving adsb and p3i with the MNEA app. With the second unit in my AC I flew off and we discovered that from on the ground to the AC in the air it's not very far, about a mile range on p3i trying to keep line of sight with the antenna.

Admin

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »
I have left the set-up on top of one of my steel containers all day for perfect line of sight. I put it on at 10.00 this morning and now it still working very happily recieving adsb and p3i with the MNEA app. With the second unit in my AC I flew off and we discovered that from on the ground to the AC in the air it's not very far, about a mile range on p3i trying to keep line of sight with the antenna.

Hi John,
I might be a bit stupid  :P
Are you saying the two units can see each other, or cannot see each other ?
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 05:37:24 pm »
Just re-read your posting.
So you are saying you are getting 1 mile line of sight range.

I have to say, worryingly, that is exactly the kind of range I got after I had destroyed the amplifier on the ARF
when I connected 5V to the power

When the power amp is destroyed the output goes from 500mW down to 10mW
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:43:18 pm by Admin »

stephenmelody

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 05:41:28 pm »
When I had mine on the ground at Fenland, I picked up G-CDFL from Folkingham Disused (at 3000ft indicated), which is about 16Nm or 29km...

I'm using the PowerPod from WirelessThings instead of the Chinese one.

Admin

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »
25km is the kind of range I have seen
Stephen can you Clarify, was G-CDFL transmitting P3I, ADS-B, or both ?
It is specifically P3I we are referring to here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:44:21 pm by Admin »

stephenmelody

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2015, 05:47:45 pm »
No idea... not sure who on here was the pilot, didn't get to speak to them, only saw them arrive.

I assume that it was P3I, but I could be wrong.

Admin

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2015, 05:50:37 pm »
Just looked on ginfo, it has a transponder, so maybe part of the adsb trial ?
Can anyone clarify the status of G-CDFL ?

stephenmelody

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2015, 05:53:05 pm »
We have a mode S transponder in GBXEX (a lovely Trig TT31), but it's not outputting ADS-B... we have no GPS source in the cockpit for it to do so.

John Parker

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2015, 06:42:16 pm »
Yes they see each other and yes 1 mile.  :o

schweboo

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 03:04:17 pm »
Hi

I think have had the same problem. Either CollisionAware connects and then disconnects, so I get the message in Sky Demon telling me that it looking for GPS satellites or CollisionAware does not connect at all. I have monitored the 192.168.1.1 status screen, which shows a good 9-10 satellite signal, while Sky Demon is moaning about a lack of a GPS signal.

I think it is an iPad issue for me - something to do with Location Services. Following advice on a forum (which I now can't find), I switch off Location Services. Shut down my iPad, waited 10 seconds and then rebooted. I then connected the WIFI to my RPI and reopened location services. After doing this 5 times, I managed to get CollisionAware to connect and have completed more than two hours of flight without the seeking GPS message appearing in SkyDemon.

Admin

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 11:17:28 am »
Hi

I think have had the same problem. Either CollisionAware connects and then disconnects, so I get the message in Sky Demon telling me that it looking for GPS satellites or CollisionAware does not connect at all. I have monitored the 192.168.1.1 status screen, which shows a good 9-10 satellite signal, while Sky Demon is moaning about a lack of a GPS signal.

I think it is an iPad issue for me - something to do with Location Services. Following advice on a forum (which I now can't find), I switch off Location Services. Shut down my iPad, waited 10 seconds and then rebooted. I then connected the WIFI to my RPI and reopened location services. After doing this 5 times, I managed to get CollisionAware to connect and have completed more than two hours of flight without the seeking GPS message appearing in SkyDemon.

I thoroughly recommend using a GPS dongle, this is a much better solution

Thx
Lee