Author Topic: SOLVED(x2)! - Skydemon connection  (Read 9947 times)

Mike Mold

Re: SOLVED! - Skydemon connection
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:14:37 pm »
Thank Lee, Peter & Paul.
All working fine now. Having set my SD traffic separation to 40,000ft, I'm happily watching commercial stuff passing overhead Devon at 37K.

I've  noticed that the bottom of PAW box is quite warm to the touch. Is that normal? Do you advise on any cooling measures such as mounting it on a heat sink, metal plate etc? Should the power and antenna cable be tied in a coil or kept loose? Just asking.

Mike

exfirepro

Re: SOLVED(x2)! - Skydemon connection
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:38:00 pm »
Hi Mike,

Its fairly common for the the ADSB/Mode S receiver Dongle and WiFi unit in particular to run fairly warm, which then heats up the PAW. This is not normally a problem, though it's advisable not to leave it lying on top of an aircraft coaming in full sun for too long if you can avoid doing so. In my experience the units often seem to run cooler after they have 'bedded in'.

I have seen several instances of cables being wrapped tightly and or cable tied with no serious reported effects, though I generally loosely coil any excess cable myself. It's generally important to take care not to 'kink' coaxial antenna cables - but power or remote GPS cables are usually less fussy - provided they are not co-axial.

p.s. did you remember to 'enable' Mode S in the Config screen?

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:44:10 pm by exfirepro »

Mike Mold

Re: SOLVED(x2)! - Skydemon connection
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:46:12 pm »
That's reassuring, Peter. And yes, mode S enabled.