Author Topic: Connection to Trig TT21  (Read 3701 times)

peastlake

Connection to Trig TT21
« on: May 24, 2016, 07:32:29 pm »
So my new unit arrived today. All plugged together, and working fully when tested in my back garden. Great!

Obviously what's different compared to my home built beta unit was the addition of the GPS dongle, as taking the GPS feed from my Garmin GLO through my iPad to the PAW via CollisionAware and back to the iPad was found (by me certainly) to be unreliable.

I was hoping to plug the new PAW into my Trig, but the lead I've got won't plug into the one remaining USB socket on the Pi because there's no room for it, as the other dongles block access.

Solutions? Or do I have to use a separate GPS source? I do have a GPSMap 196, which I can't update, but still knows it's Lat/Long.

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Connection to Trig TT21
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:19:13 pm »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:27 pm »
By the way, why can't you update the 196?

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

Andy Fell

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »
Hi Paul,

I use my Garmin 96C for my NMEA feed into the TT21.

Works well, also the garmin acts as a useful backup GPS and has features that skydemon is not so good at.

The other benefit is you don't need to worry about RS232 level translation, since the Garmin uses conventional +/-12V signalling, which is what the TT21 expects.  So you only need two wires.. data and ground, none of this USB conversion and level translation hassle.

Cheers, Andy
See you on FlyUK!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:31:05 pm by Wobblewing »

peastlake

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:54:14 pm »
the garmin acts as a useful backup GPS and has features that skydemon is not so good at.

The other benefit is you don't need to worry about RS232 level translation, since the Garmin uses conventional +/-12V signalling, which is what the TT21 expects.  So you only need two wires.. data and ground, none of this USB conversion and level translation hassle.

Yeah, think I'll leave it using the Garmin, although the extension lead idea popped into my head as soon as I pushed"post".

As to why the Garmin won't update, it's to do with the connection, I think. My lead is an old serial type, and I've tried converters to allow this to be used in a USB port on various PC's with no joy. It worked when I had a PC with serial ports, but that's long gone....... Of course, dropping the GPS the amount of times I have might not have helped, but it still works fine - just can't update the base map (which I only ever did once a year due to the cost)