Author Topic: SOLVED! - Pilotaware & GPS problems?  (Read 12153 times)

Tony Crome

Re: Pilotaware & GPS problems?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 08:19:54 am »
Correct ! Wonder how you know that ?

Must admit I was unaware that PAW shows Mode S contacts - presumably without showing position.

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 10:22:39 am »

Must admit I was unaware that PAW shows Mode S contacts - presumably without showing position.

Hi Tony,

Have just been catching up on this thread after a day away and realised when Lee said earlier

Hi Tony,
Do you have Mode-S enabled ?
If so what are your settings ?

and you replied:

Hello Lee

Yes Mode S enabled - no special settings that I am aware of, just aircraft reg and hex code.

I think you were talking at cross purposes.

What Lee was asking was whether you have Mode S enabled in PilotAware. Your reply was presumably in relation to your Mode S transponder.

From the logs you subsequently provided, however, you obviously did have Mode S enabled in PilotAware, though you don't appear to have realised it at the time, and what you were seeing is the graphic that alerts you to the presence of a mode S contact - which in the case of Runway HD is a small aircraft symbol 'piggybacked' on top of your own aircraft to bring it to your attention, because  as you yourself say, we can't provide any positional information for raw transponder signals. In the case of Runway HD (and other systems) the relative altitude is also provided to help you decide where to look for the target aircraft, i.e. up, down, or near your own level, but remember you may need to do a full 360 and if the aircraft is still well out, you may not be able to physically see it, but read on.

In the latest Pi2 system, these visual warnings are supported by increasing audio warnings from the Pi2, which can be inputted into your aircraft audio system - 'traffic - notice' to warn you of the initial presence of a Mode S aircraft followed if it continues to approach by 'traffic - alert' and 'traffic - danger' to get you looking outside the cockpit for the oncoming aircraft.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 03:43:54 pm by exfirepro »

Tony Crome

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2016, 10:37:20 am »
Thank you Peter and Lee - understood now. Suppose I should 'RTFM' better.

Lee, one question - those Track Log files seem pretty large - do they self- delete eventually?

Thanks Tony

Admin

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
Lee, one question - those Track Log files seem pretty large - do they self- delete eventually?

Hi Tony

Yes they do, as the disk fills, it auto removes the oldest tracks

Thx
Lee

rikur

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 04:29:11 pm »
Just to close off my original question at the start of this thread ......

Having been using a version of PilotAware from Lee that reverted the WiFi configuration back to the old configuration, I've not had any problem with GPS dropping out.  Have been in various aircraft with it, including the C172 where the problems first arose.

Admin

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »
Just to close off my original question at the start of this thread ......
Having been using a version of PilotAware from Lee that reverted the WiFi configuration back to the old configuration, I've not had any problem with GPS dropping out.  Have been in various aircraft with it, including the C172 where the problems first arose.

Thanks for the update.

Just to follow up, the latest release 20160530 on the website, uses the reverted WiFi settings to Mode-B

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 04:36:17 pm »
I was just about to say that Lee but you beat me to it!

Regards

Peter

rikur

Re: SOLVED! - Pilotaware & GPS problems?
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 09:35:41 pm »
Will my 'special' build just do a normal update over the internet to the normal build now, or do I need to do something to revert back to normal?

exfirepro

Re: SOLVED! - Pilotaware & GPS problems?
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:13 pm »
It's the same one Paul and I have been using rick. Should update as normal

Peter