Author Topic: New FX unit  (Read 128 times)

Young_C

New FX unit
« on: May 08, 2024, 09:21:18 am »
Hi,
I have a question about the new FX unit.

Is it intended for aircraft with an existing FLARM installation to enable them to see and be seen directly (i.e. without the ground network) by PilotAware equipped aircraft?

I have an existing PilotAware Rosetta installation and I'm not sure I would benefit from the FX unit, unless it allows the opposite of the above, i.e. enable me to see and be seen by directly FLARM equipped aircraft.

Please could someone clarify this.

Thanks,
Chris Young
G-RVAH

PaulSS

Re: New FX unit
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:06:31 am »
Yes, the FX has a direct cable from a Flarm unit that allows existing Flarm unit traffic to be processed and displayed along with the other traffic (PAW & ADSB) that is received by the FX. The combined traffic can be displayed over WIFI, as usual, using a Flarm display and/or on an EFIS display.

The FX will use the power and GPS information from the Flarm unit, so no need to replicate.

When combined with something like the PowerMouse it costs less than a PowerFlarm Fusion (with ADSB In) but has all the added advantages of the PilotAware products. Great for something like a glider tug.

It does not allow a Flarm only-equipped aircraft to see you if you only have the FX. Obviously they would see you if you had a Flarm strapped to your FX.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 10:09:54 am by PaulSS »

exfirepro

Re: New FX unit
« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:44:23 pm »
Hi Chris,

As per Paul's post, plus -

If (as hoped) the Flarm Community take up FX as a low-power addition to their existing Flarm installations (FX draws far less power than Rosetta, making it ideal for installation in unpowered aircraft), not only will they be able to see us AND 1090 traffic via their new FX, but we will of course automatically be able to see them directly from their PAW FX transmissions - outwith Ground Station or iGRID Coverage range, so Win-Win.

As you will have read elsewhere, PilotAware and FLARM have also entered into a mutual collaboration agreement, which will no doubt lead to closer mutual development in the future, with perhaps further improved intercommunication options between our respective systems. Lots of potentially good things to look forward to from both groups.

Best Regards as Always

Peter