Author Topic: PAW functionality  (Read 3022 times)

julianwebb

PAW functionality
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:11:51 am »
First of all what an amazing achievement to get this project this far with so many users already really well done to the team.

I just had a few questions about the functionality of the software:-

1) was it possible to get anywhere with FLARM to detect their devices?

2) are targets just displayed on SD or are any "alarms" given?

3) what was the final range of the system with a good antenna system (possibly external)

4) for non-bearing targets is the range estimated by the system so as to filter out targets far away?

5) for non bearing targets is a warning given if it's at a height similar to own aircraft?

6) I guess the system will not respond to aircrafts own mode S transponder based on input of transponders hex code?

7) is there filter to exclude for example commercial traffic broadcasting ADS-B?

Regards

Julian

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: PAW functionality
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:42:24 am »
Julian
Take a look here at various Documentation. I believe the documentation is being reviewed again at the moment to add information on introduced features in latest Unit or Bridge.
Many questions will be answered for you and a search on the forum to Mode C and FLARM will elaborate on latest situation.
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/board,5.0.html
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

exfirepro

Re: PAW functionality
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:04:03 am »
First of all what an amazing achievement to get this project this far with so many users already really well done to the team.

I just had a few questions about the functionality of the software:-

Regards

Julian

Hi Julian,

In the temporary absence of Lee and the Team (off to get their RAeC award) I will try to answer your questions from my recent testing programme as follows: -

1) was it possible to get anywhere with FLARM to detect their devices?

Lee is open to this, but FLARM are extremely protective of their product - even encrypting their data to prevent others using it, so unless they are prepared to open up to 'us', this is I'm afraid unlikely.

2) are targets just displayed on SD or are any "alarms" given?

Targets are displayed by a variety of methods, depending on the source. Briefly, ADSB and P3i are both displayed as moving targets, with audible warnings generated from the PAW audio out socket (provided you are using the new software on a Raspberry Pi 2 based unit - which all of the PilotAware Hardware units are). You need to sort out how to get the audio into your headsets though as aircraft systems vary considerably.

Because the location of 'bearingless' Mode S targets can't be determined, they are (currently) displayed on SD as a small aircraft symbol piggybacked on top of your own aircraft, with aircraft ID and relative altitude and a different set of audio warnings are used to indicate increasing danger as they approach.

Other systems, such as EasyVFR use slightly different methods, but the principle is the same.

3) what was the final range of the system with a good antenna system (possibly external)

That depends which system you mean. ADSB - 100 km plus for CAT, less for lower power GA traffic. P3i up to 26 km has been achieved in testing - which is well beyond sight range. When I flew with the new P3i for the first time yesterday, I kept track of my colleague at well over 5 miles, but we weren't trying to test for maximum range and I have no reason to doubt the test results. We did find however that antenna type and positioning has a major influence on range. I know Keith intends to publish something on this shortly.

4) for non-bearing targets is the range estimated by the system so as to filter out targets far away?

The system allows you to select your preferred 'Mode S Detection Range' depending on the environment you are flying in. This is based on signal strength not distance and controls the warnings you receive. We are still working to 'fine tune' the alerts and updates will be included in forthcoming automatic software updates.

5) for non bearing targets is a warning given if it's at a height similar to own aircraft?

The audio warnings for mode S aircraft are based on increasing signal strength as the aircraft approaches. As soon as first audio alert is received, the visual symbol comes on screen. The on screen indicator includes the relative altitude of the contact (e.g. -200 ft) from which you can determine which way to look for it (up, down or level - but remember no bearing) and whether you might need to climb or descend to maintain separation if the aircraft continues to approach.

6) I guess the system will not respond to aircrafts own mode S transponder based on input of transponders hex code?

Correct.....  provided you input your HEX code on the Configuration page and 'Save' this, the unit will disregard your own Mode S,  P3i and if you have it ADSB. If you want to use your unit in different aircraft, remember to set and save the correct aircraft hex address each time you change.

7) is there filter to exclude for example commercial traffic broadcasting ADS-B?

There is no specific filter in PAW to exclude CAT, but unless they get within audio warning range all you will see is a moving symbol at a safe distance from you, which I actually find very reassuring when for example doing a zone transit, or in the case of my own field, flying in uncontrolled airspace close to descending traffic inbound to EGPH. Remember, there are filters in SD (in the Navigation Options Menu) to set altitude limits and also to show or hide bearing less targets - this must of course be 'ON' to see the Mode S targets).

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:10:15 am by exfirepro »