Author Topic: GPS Ublox7 Dongle connection problems  (Read 18391 times)

Re: GPS Ublox7 Dongle connection problems
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 10:24:18 am »
Hi, I tried Paul's recommendation and various other combinations.  Paul's configuration is a bit better but the signal still tends to drop (I'm doing this from inside my conservatory as it's raining).  I've tried an alternative GPS dongle (ND-100S) and get similar results.  With the USB extension cable connected everything is fine so, as others have said, I suspect a bit of mutual interference going on.  It will be interesting to see if this becomes a non-issue when outside/flying with the prospect of a stronger GPS signal.

Anyway, thanks again for the product and all your help.

David

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 11:27:34 am »
I get very patchy GPS reception when the PAW is on my downstairs windowsill. It's a bit better on the upstairs windowsill, but a lot better when I use a USB extension. However out in the open or in the air, the standard PI and dongle work well...so much so that the altitude on my GPS readout seems to exactly match my altimeter.

DaveStyles

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »
Hi, I tried Paul's recommendation and various other combinations.  Paul's configuration is a bit better but the signal still tends to drop (I'm doing this from inside my conservatory as it's raining).  I've tried an alternative GPS dongle (ND-100S) and get similar results.  With the USB extension cable connected everything is fine so, as others have said, I suspect a bit of mutual interference going on.  It will be interesting to see if this becomes a non-issue when outside/flying with the prospect of a stronger GPS signal.

Anyway, thanks again for the product and all your help.

David

GPS really hates attenuation. Everybody thinks it should work fine indoors on window sills etc because their phones appear to. Phones cheat! They use triangulation from the masts as well.

With pure GPS you'll notice a difference on the window sill if you open the window!

I'm not surprised it's flaky inside a double glazed conservatory covered in water. It will be interesting to see how it improves. There is a marked difference for me in my back garden to when I'm stood outside the clubhouse at the airfield just due to the amount of sky visible.

I cannot get a GPS fix on window sills at the back of the house, but can at the front, which must be due to some sort of shielding of the sky by the other properties around me.

The conclusion of this thread will be useful.

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 12:09:30 pm »
 I ventured into the sodden wastelands of central Marlow.  Definitely better GPS signal with or without USB cable.  My ND-100S gets a position fix slightly quicker than the supplied Ublox-7 but I'm now being really picky :D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:21:34 pm by david.phillips31 »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
OMG Dave, you've got Timothy heading straight for you!  :o ;D

exfirepro

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »
Hi Dave,

Nice to hear things are finally working for you. Good test images. I presume you know you can filter ADSB in SD to remove the high level stuff if you don't want to see it. Similar filters are provided on the [Config] page of PAW for Mode S.

As I have said elsewhere, during testing at home I used the standard plug-in Ublox (as now supplied with the kit), but for my aircraft (a GT450 flexwing) I now have the PAW fitted up inside the pod, with a VK162 gps mouse (as now available from PAW Hardware) mounted in the clear on the outside of the pod and have had no significant problems.

Best Regards

Peter

Chris-TT

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »
I’ve bought one of the GPS mice and it seems to have solved the problems I was having.
I’m ready to properly test in the cockpit the next couple of days. I’ve covered the top of my power pack in velcro, and then attached the Pilot Aware unit, GPS mouse, and ADS-B antenna with velcro. I’ve also attached a non-slip matt to the bottom of the power pack. It seems pretty sturdy, I just placed it on my dashboard, and went for a drive, it stayed in place without moving at all! I just need to think of the best way to tidy the cables up now

exfirepro

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »
Hi Chris,

Nice one - Looks very neat. Cables aren't so easy to deal with, mine is all hidden behind the dash inside my pod, so not so much of a problem.

Just one safety point, IIRC someone else on here (possibly Dave Styles) already put out a warning to make sure everything is firmly fixed down in the cockpit, so you might need to consider a couple of judiciously placed bits of 'Velcro' as well as the non slip matt to ensure everything stays in place if you hit severe turbulence.

Regards

Peter

Chris-TT

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 09:08:43 pm »
Thanks Peter,

Unfortunately it's a club aircraft so attaching velcro to the aircraft is not really an option. However I flew today and it fit very snugly on the dash of a PA28. I did some steep turns, and there was quite a lot of turbulence, it didn't move whatsoever! In-fact its so snug I don't think it could go anywhere. I easily sorted the cable problem with velcro straps, everyone else who saw the unit today was impressed with how the PilotAware looks.

GPS worked very well today with no drop-outs, I saw quite a few aircraft on my SkyDemon thanks to the PilotAware unit, but I'm not sure if it's picking up Mode-S. It should have picked up my aircraft, but didn't. The aircraft is equipped with Mode-S, and 'Flightradar24' certainly picked it up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:30:32 pm by Chris-TT »

Admin

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 09:23:00 pm »
Hi Chris,

but not sure if it's picking up Mode-S, as it should have picked up my aircraft as 'Flightradar24' certainly was.

Mode-S is OFF by default, you have to set it to enabled in the Configure menu - not sure if you did that ?

Thx
Lee

Chris-TT

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 09:35:34 pm »
Ahh ok thanks Lee, it will teach me not to read up on documentation properly! I'm flying over to the Channel Islands in the next week or so, I'll read up, and hopefully have everything sorted by then!