Author Topic: Installation with Garmin mode S transponder  (Read 5731 times)

microflying

Installation with Garmin mode S transponder
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:10:15 pm »
I mainly fly a flex wing aircraft in which I intend installing the Pilot Aware hardware along with Sky Demon on my Samsung S5 phone. No problem there (I hope). I also fly a Sportcruiser aircraft which has a Mode S Garmin transponder and I use a Samsung TabS tablet also with Sky Demon. To make the best use of the Pilot Aware equipment i would like to connect this to my transponder to pick up Mode S traffic. How can i get information on how to do this and can I transfer the Pilot Aware equipment easily between aircraft?

exfirepro

Re: Installation with Garmin mode S transponder
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:53 pm »
Hi,

I also fly a flexwing. No problem connecting PAW via wifi to your SkyDemon on either your Samsung S5 (which I use as my backup)!or Tab S.

Shouldn't think there would be a problem using PAW to feed data to your Garmin, but not my area I'm afraid. I'm sure others will be able to help here.

No problem moving the PAW between your aircraft as it can be self contained (if powered by a power pack battery) or at worst needs a couple of leads for a) power and b) to connect to your transponder.

Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »
Hi Martin

I have responded to the email you also sent to support.

thanks

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:03 pm »
Depends on what Garmin transponder it is. To have ADS-B out, you need the GTX-330 ES. Note, that's the ES version of the transponder.

We were all a bit misled when it came to Garmin transponders. The GTX-328 we were told didn't have ES/ADS-B capability whereas we were told the GTX-330 had. Turns out they want a lot more dosh to enable the 330 to be upgraded to ES. I think everyone in the UK with a GTX-330 should club together to form some sort of class action to get Garmin to upgrade our 330s for free as that's what we were sold in the first place.

Oh, you also say "to pick up Mode S traffic". That's not why you connect your transponder, you connect it to *output* Mode S ADS-B. The PilotAware picks up Mode S ADS-B traffic on its own.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:10:59 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

SteveHutt

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:18:35 pm »
As Paul says, a PAW-To-Transponder connection is nothing to do with picking up other traffic.

To get an ADS-B capable Mode S transponder to output ADS-B you need to feed the transponder with GPS position data.

I have been contacted by one Garmin 330ES owner who has had a VERY hard time getting ADS-B out sorted and it is still not resolved. First he upgraded the 330 to a 330ES. Then connected his Garmin 496 to the 330ES to enable ADS-B Out but it did not work (having previously been told by the supplier that it would). So..... He was then advised to buy a Garmin GPS20A (a non-certified GPS) which he did. That finally worked.

HOWEVER, he then discovered it was not possible to configure the Garmin 330ES to broadcast the required SIL=0 and SDA=0 parameters that are required for use by LAA & BMAA aircraft using a non-certified GPS ADS-B Out setup. He found the lowest possible SIL setting on the Garmin 330ES is SIL=1. As of now this is not compliant with the requirements for ADS-B Out using a non-certified GPS

So..... Beware the Garmin 330ES.

Steve
Steve Hutt

SteveN

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:38 pm »
Steve,

You may wish to repost that on Flyer forum as it has relevance to any uncertified GPS source not just PAW

SteveN