Author Topic: SEE & BE SEEN - POPHAM FLYBALL EVENT - CHANCE FOR ADS-B TO SHOW ITS WORTH!  (Read 3758 times)

BobDarby

Pilots may be interested in the “Flyball” event that is taking place on Saturday 7th May.  There are 19 airfields taking part: Bodmin, Brimpton, Chichester/Goodwood, Chiltern Park, Compton Abbas, Denham, Derby, Lashenden (Headcorn), Fairoaks, Land’s End, Netherthorpe, North Weald, Popham, Redhill, Rochester, Sandown Isle of Wight, Shobdon, Sywell, Wolverhampton.  The idea of the event is to visit as many of the airfields listed between 10h and 16h, finishing at Popham, and to collect a ball with a number on it at each airfield.  The person who collects the balls with the highest total value is the winner. I attach the rules.

That is likely to mean several aircraft in and around Popham just before 16h, so there will be plenty of opportunity to see how well any ADS-B device is working. So, if you fly from one of the airfields mentioned above and you have fitted an ADS-B device, it’s a great opportunity to experience ADS-B from your own cockpit.

There are now several ADS-B-IN and ADS-B-OUT devices available: PAW, NATS LPAT, NATS GPS-trial aircraft; Power FLARM.  They are not all mutually compatible but there should still be opportunities to see the benefits of Electronic Conspicuity.

Hope to see you at Popham!

exfirepro

Sounds great fun Bob. Unfortunately a bit far north to get involved this time round.

I hope everyone remembers not to get distracted and keep a good lookout outside the cockpit, especially bearing in mind the potential non-compatibility element between systems.

Best regards for the event

Happy flying

Peter

BobDarby

" ... not to get distracted and keep a good lookout outside the cockpit, especially bearing in mind the potential non-compatibility element between system ... "

Very well said - thank you for that reminder

Keithvinning

Who won

Paul_Sengupta

I was thinking of taking part in this but it was superceded by the BullChipMeet in Abbeville, so I went to that instead!

BobDarby

Overall winner:
G-JUFS
Socata TB9
270 points
Pilots: Costin and Richardson.

It was good fun - the most legs that I have flown in a single day.