Author Topic: Does PAW work on RP3?  (Read 6242 times)

dperalta

Does PAW work on RP3?
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:21 pm »
Came across this project via another pilot last week, and looked so interesting I ordered all the components and have put the system together today.  Unfortunately the install will not work and hangs just before you get the OS installation screen.

I've tried using the latest NOOBS files and replacing the default raspbian folder with the PAW one.  This allows me to get further and does install the PAW OS on the card, but on rebooting it hangs just after the strawberry splash screen.  Screen goes black and just displays the small rainbow box at top right.

The rpi works fine with other distros, and the SD card works fine when I install another distro on it, so I've narrowed it down to the PAW software.  Does it support rpi3?

David

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Does PAW work on RP3?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:11:27 pm »
I think officially only the B+ is supported.

dperalta

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:38:53 pm »
Thanks Paul
Fair enough, though could do with having this prominently shown on the website.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »
It should be. It's been highlighted a lot over the months/years.

Just had a look, it's in the first sentence of the installation guide:

"The PilotAware software needs to be installed on a 4GB (or bigger) micro SD card for use with the Raspberry Pi B+."

Also in the known good hardware section it says B+.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html

dperalta

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »
Unfortunately the RP 3 is also listed as a 'B' so that is not at all clear.  See following example:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »
Unfortunately the RP 3 is also listed as a 'B' so that is not at all clear.  See following example:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/

You are quite right, the naming of the revisions of the PI has not been as good as it could have been.
As Paul mentions the version to use is "Pi B+", which is actually "Pi 1 B+" if the naming had been more clear

Thx
Lee

dperalta

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 11:54:33 pm »
Thanks Lee. Will try and get one on Amazon (RS showing out of stock) but if you want any help testing on R3 just shout. I'm about 2/3 of the way getting it working there.

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:47:01 pm »
Just bringing this thread back to life because it seems that the RPi 2 model B+ is being overtaken by the RPi 3 model B (the model numbering convention is bizarre!). It seems that RS, Rapid, et al, are winding down stocks of the 2B although I suppose they will be available for some time yet.

Now that the full functionality version of PAW has migrated to the RPi 2, does (will) it also work on the 3? I am loathe to buy obsolescent kit but I do realise that it's a pain keeping the software compatible with all these new hardware releases.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:34 pm »
PAW does not work on RP3 with no intention for it so to do at this moment

aky

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:18 pm »
That's a pity, since RPi 3 has a WiFi already built in.

A.

Keithvinning

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »
Yes we know