Author Topic: Paw and AVMAP EKP V  (Read 5649 times)

tfede

Paw and AVMAP EKP V
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:15:30 pm »
Hi all,

i was wondering if someone knows how to use PAW to supply traffic information totes Avmap EKP V.
As far as I understood the EKP V is able to receive information FRO a Zaon TCAS via USB...

Federico

Admin

Re: Paw and AVMAP EKP V
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:21:36 pm »
Hi Federico

I have tried to find information on this but have not been successful.
Do you have any links to documentstion about the format it requires ?
Does it use wifi or rs232 ?

Thx
Lee

scsirob

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 11:09:15 am »
Hi Federico,

I am working on something like this in a stand-alone translation gadget. I am at 50%, my code generates valid Zaon XRX data. Quick demo with PocketFMS:
https://youtu.be/82Hj2XWtQg8

Unfortunately I have a bit of difficulty with my EKP-V right now or I would be able to test this too.
Next step is translating $PFLAA and $PFLAU messages from PAW and selecting the most imminent threats to display. The Zaon protocol only supports three simultaneous threats to display.

Rob

Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 11:19:08 am »
Hi Rob

Can you provide a link to the protocol definition ?
Also, what is the physical connectio, I am presuming RS232 ?

Thx
Lee

scsirob

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 11:29:22 am »
Hi Lee,

The connection is RS-232 at 57600 Baud. The protocol is a binary data blob with values and bit fields. The protocol requires both sending and receiving data, as some of the Zaon settings coming from the device (PocketFMS, EKP-V) are echo'ed back in the binary blob for verification.

I will contact you offline about the manual, not sure if I can send a copy due to copyrights.

Rob

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 03:49:56 pm »
Does the Zaon use the fabled Garmin protocol which seems to exist but no one wants to make available?  :)

I believe you can link a Zaon to a Garmin GPS?

Welsh Pilot

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 04:30:37 pm »
Yes you can. My XRX is coupled to my Garmin 695.

scsirob

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »
The XRX supports a few 'profiles' for external EFIS systems. In my docs, profile 1 is for AnywhereMap, profile 2 for Trueflight. Garmin support only exists in V2.0 firmware, which is the last one released before Zaon went belly-up.

I will ask Avmap which Zaon protocol/profile they support, as they claim compatibility but their manual shows no info which profile should be selected. My demo uses the binary format described in a hard-copy Tech Reference manual from 2006 and not available online. This manual claims this binary format is 'Trueflight' mode.

Edit: The EKP-V manual *does* show which profile to use, they list profile 1. Their previous product EKP-IV shows profile 2. So they have switched, I guess?

Edit again: Avmap probably should take the opportunity to natively support $PFLAA/PFLAU traffic inputs. They have an external GPS antenna that is just a uBlox, so if they instead allow PAW to be the GPS and traffic source, they are all done.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:17:54 pm by scsirob »

tfede

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 11:13:20 pm »
Thank you all for the interest, it seems something good is growing ;)

Federico