Author Topic: PilotAware users.... NATS would like your help.....  (Read 6181 times)

SteveHutt

PilotAware users.... NATS would like your help.....
« on: February 15, 2016, 04:13:07 pm »
PilotAware users.... NATS would like your help.....

Please follow this link and get involved.

http://fasvig.org/invitation-to-participate-in-project-eva

Regards,
Steve

Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

Re: PilotAware users.... NATS would like your help.....
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:42:46 pm »
Hi Steve,

Presumably there will be little point in using PAW for these demonstrations unless each unit has the new P3i transceiver/shield fitted. I guess you are making this call in anticipation of this upgrade.

SteveHutt

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:18 pm »
Hi Moffrestorer,

Nope, PAW with just ADS-B In will be fine. If you cannot team up with your own ADS-B Out equipped mates, NATS are offering to help bring pilots together.

Register with NATS and they will explain more.

Steve
Steve Hutt

SteveHutt

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:17:46 pm »
...... I guess you are making this call ........
Just for clarity, this is a Project EVA initiative (NATS/AOPA/Funke/Trig/SESAR) which is supported by FASVIG as it contributes to FASVIG Package of Change VEE5 ADS-B Out Implementation.

http://fasvig.org/fasvip/poc/vee/vee-5

Steve
Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:39:14 am »
Thanks Steve,

I've contacted NATS to offer to participate.

Got a good ADSB contact from an aircraft flying near Shifnal last Thursday. It's identifier was alternating between call-sign (which I didn't note unfortunately) and "electric". It was -1309' from my level off the port quarter. Presume it was a helicopter surveying power lines as it was flying very slowly and frequently changing direction.

The significance of this? I was surprised at the excellent reception because the DVB-T antenna was velcro'd to the RH edge of the baggage shelf in my EV97 Eurostar and the fuselage and port wing didn't blank the signal. Incidentally, I velcro'd the PAW unit vertically to the passenger fuselage side just aft of the panel so the P3i antenna protruded up into the canopy close to the side vent. I noticed excellent Ublox GPS signal with the dongle hanging vertically from the USB beneath the PAW. This is all very encouraging and is the first time I've used the unit aloft.

I powered the PAW from a cigarette lighter socket I'd fitted to the panel on the RHS by the fuse unit, and used a cheap high current triple cigarette/USB adapter that powers the iPad and a Zaon MRX unit also.

Regards,

Chris

Andy Fell

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:04:20 am »
I'll give it a shot, if I ever get around to flying my plane!

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 03:07:35 pm »
Hi Steve,

Last email received from Adrian Price of NATS contained info on the tests of LPAT that he is hoping the volunteers will perform. I'm not clear how having just having PAW with ADS-B In sits with this? I'm guessing both test airframes are expected to carry loaned LPATs.

AlanB

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 05:45:56 pm »
Hi Steve,

Last email received from Adrian Price of NATS contained info on the tests of LPAT that he is hoping the volunteers will perform. I'm not clear how having just having PAW with ADS-B In sits with this? I'm guessing both test airframes are expected to carry loaned LPATs.

Adrain will have a plan in mind but the last flight i did with them was my ADS-B out Trig and PilotAware in with an LPAT in the other Aircraft. what we were looking for is interaction of LPAT with ADS-B out and Pilot Aware with an LPAT ADS-B Out.

There are other instances for example LPAT will detect A/C and also FLARM as well as Power FLARM will detect ADS-B out and, I believe, also detect ADS-B in from the LPAT.

Overall therefore Adrian will be looking at multi device interaction to demonstrate LPAT performance against other devices.

So if you have a Transponder and and ADS-B in device, or even a traffic awareness device or FLARM then this will be helpful.

At then end of the day down to Adrian.

Hope that helps.

Alan
Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.

SteveHutt

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:54:07 pm »
Hi Chris,

As Alan said, Adrian will have a plan. As long as he knows what kit you are starting out with he will work out how to put your time to best use.

Regards,
Steve
Steve Hutt