Author Topic: Airframe mountable antennae  (Read 3907 times)

Moffrestorer

Airframe mountable antennae
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:26:10 am »
Hi Lee,

Thinking ahead to when the Pilotaware Shield becomes available, are you likely to be assessing and offering an airframe mountable antenna to suit the shield, via the Pilotaware shop? I note that your testing for the shield was done with an external antenna.

Same question goes for an external DVB-T antenna, too?

Seasons greetings to you and the team, plus all Pilotaware Forumites.

Chris

Admin

Re: Airframe mountable antennae
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:03:26 am »
Hi Chris
Merry Christmas to you too.

Yes this is the intention.
We have had a huge response on the pilotawarehardware shop, much more than we had anticipated.
We are now in the process of procuring the ancilliary stock items.
The problem we have here, is there are a few alternate configurations, and we had not really specified the types of configurations people would require to give us an idea of stock levels.

So the two sets of alternates are the antenna type, and the GPS type.

The antenna we intend to offer a 1/4 wave monopole, this is suitable for mounting on a ground plane which needs to be at least 18cm diameter, or even better, a metal airframe. A 3m coax can be provided for remote mounting from the unit.
Alternately, a 1/2 wave dipole, similar to those provided with the ARF, these do not require a ground plane, and can be mounted in the cockpit.
The best results we had when measured from the ground, were for the monopole mounted remotely, with better visibility of the sky. Although in air to air we got excellent results with both configurations.

For the USB GPS, again we have 2 options, the g-blox dongle, and g-blox mouse, the only difference, the mouse is on the end of a 1.5m cable, so can be easily placed for good visibility remote from the main unit.

So I think we intend to stock up with both options in the initial batch, then see the configurations people choose, then adjust follow up orders accordingly

Thx
Lee

rogerabc

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 10:14:56 am »
Hi Lee,

I have my Europa panel on the bench for a couple of weeks & hope to make it PAW ready,
Plan is to velcro mount the unit low down on the (grp) panel with 50cm extension leads to antennae mounted on the panel coaming, just below the screen.
GPS is sorted as I already have the g-blox mouse.
For the ADSB receiver I have already tested an mcx to sma lead and stubby antenna.
Not sure what to get for the new bridge board & looking for any guidance.
To be clear I hope to mount the antennae remotely but inside the aircraft on a 50cm extension.
Thanks for any advice,

Roger

Richard

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 11:36:42 am »
Hi Lee,

I have my Europa panel on the bench for a couple of weeks & hope to make it PAW ready,
Plan is to velcro mount the unit low down on the (grp) panel with 50cm extension leads to antennae mounted on the panel coaming, just below the screen.
GPS is sorted as I already have the g-blox mouse.
For the ADSB receiver I have already tested an mcx to sma lead and stubby antenna.
Not sure what to get for the new bridge board & looking for any guidance.
To be clear I hope to mount the antennae remotely but inside the aircraft on a 50cm extension.

Roger,
    I'm working on something similar to what you describe. I have opted to use the FLARM antennas in my Europa. It is a little expensive but I'm getting fantastic results using the A-DSB dipole antenna the small one with the sticky pad £32... As for the PI3 transmitter, I think we need to wait until the PI3 is ready and the engineering team give us the advice on the transmuting range. The Dipoles are available here... http://lxavionics.co.uk/lxcart/index.php?route=product/category&path=102&page=6

Richard.
Europa XS