Author Topic: How do you know if you are squittering ?  (Read 12757 times)

Admin

Re: How do you know if you are squittering ?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »
Aha -  thats what it was, I had used port 3 but  configured port 1 for the Txpdr.

So it appears to work on the ground reporting my own txpdr at my position at 0feet.

Couldn't see myself on FR24, but then I was in a metal hangar with the doors shut. So next thing is a flight test when the 50hr is finished.

Do you know if you can look at FR24 or suchlike for a flight you have just made or is it only realtime flight tracking.

Thanks for everones help.

John

Hi John

more importantly, what are the bits regarding SIL and SDA set to ?
are they captured by PilotAware, and are they correct ?

Thx
Lee

flying_john

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 03:41:12 pm »
I think I am in the same camp as Ian Fallon, nothing set in these fields  :-\

Admin

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
I think I am in the same camp as Ian Fallon, nothing set in these fields  :-\
hmm, sorry to hear that.

AlanG

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 03:47:31 pm »
Hi

Have I not read elsewhere on the forum that these fields only become active after interrogation by ground radar.  There appear to be many commercial aircraft that don't reflect these settings all the time in the traffic screen.

Alan

Admin

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 04:12:03 pm »
Hi
Have I not read elsewhere on the forum that these fields only become active after interrogation by ground radar.  There appear to be many commercial aircraft that don't reflect these settings all the time in the traffic screen.
Alan

My understanding is these are un-solicited.
I think I was told by Trig, that the messages are output every 2 seconds

Thx
Lee

SteveHutt

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 07:54:29 pm »
Alan,
No, ground radar has no influence on the 'extended squitter' ADS-B broadcasts and no ADS-B messages are sent in response to external interrogation. ADS-B is entirely driven from the broadcasting aircraft.

Please also understand that the SIL and SDA are not fields in a single ADS-B message format. There are many different short message formats that a Mode S ES transponder sends out at differing intervals. Some message formats are sent out more frequently than others.

When viewing CAT ADS-B it is important to understand that there are older versions of the ADS-B standard specification in operation today which don't all support SIL and SDA, and hence you will not see this data for all aircraft.

Steve
Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:16 am »
Hi John,

Which USB/ RS232 converter cable did you use in the end to get it working? Did your transponder require true RS232 I.e 12v logic, or TTL (5v)? If 12v, do you know whether the cable required a 12v power connection to power the converter, or is there some clever switched mode level shifting done within the converter to obtain 12v from the 5v USB supply?

Tx

flying_john

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
At the moment it is running on a "borrowed" one from a friend. But I have ordered a similar one and am awaiting delivery. Will report back when I have the new one.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 02:19:26 pm »
I've just tried it with a two quid Chinese PL2303 jobbie on a null modem cable to another one plugged into my PC and it works fine for that.

Admin

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
I've just tried it with a two quid Chinese PL2303 jobbie on a null modem cable to another one plugged into my PC and it works fine for that.

This is exactly the test I made.
I also tried reconfiguring baud rates for both ends, and it all worked correctly
Thx
Lee