Author Topic: Pi2  (Read 4054 times)

neilmurg

Pi2
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »
I built two PAWs and have quite a few bits left, almost enough for another one. Is it worth building a PAW based on the Pi2 (one of my bits left over), as from what I read on here it seems to be stable now?
Are there any issues to watch for like current draw / heat.

Also, is it still likely to be march/april for the new ARF? Will it still be called ARF? It seems like now would be the perfect time to be getting parts together ready to build for people who are making them for colleagues / others on the airfield.

It's too quiet!

DaveStyles

Re: Pi2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:43:34 pm »
I can't stop myself mentioning..

www.pilotAwareHardware.com

to ask you to note the introductory price, the year's warranty, the pre loaded software, and the unit supplied pre tested and ready to go, all in 1 box.

It's not ARF any more, we have commissioned / worked on a bespoke radio for PilotAware, as we couldn't find one to fit the bill.

It is too quiet, but in many ways it's the calm before the storm. It's certainly not quiet at PilotAware Towers though ;-). It's completely manic.

neilmurg

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:28:01 am »
Yes thanks, I am aware of the hardware site and I'm on the email list.
It's also a good time to be gathering components if you can find good prices. There did seem to be shortages/price pressure around Oct/2015 when the personal builds were in full swing.

SteveN

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:07:29 pm »
, we have commissioned / worked on a bespoke radio for PilotAware, as we couldn't find one to fit the bill....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

JCurtis

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:46:36 pm »
, we have commissioned / worked on a bespoke radio for PilotAware, as we couldn't find one to fit the bill....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Last time I heard from Lee the work was to make enhanced version of an off the shelf far east made radio module, as some core elements are being updated it requires complete re-testing to ensure it stays within the legal limits for everything.  This sadly takes time, plus there is the actual package of Pi, DVB dongle, WiFi dongle (and GPS?) etc. to also run through a compliancy lab as a running package.

I wound't get too hung up on 'bespoke', the module was based on a chipset that is well known (if not the most current) so it would be possible for someone to make a compatible module should there be supply issues from the far east in the longer term.

If it is truly hand crafted bespoke I'd be worried as that creates a single point of failure for the entire project and quite a scary thought, potential diversity of supply is key to the long term success IMHO ( the ARF was single source).  There would be little point in having a public and open P3I protocol only to find to interact you need bespoke hardware, it would be akin to a totally closed system like FLARM.  One advantage of a radio from an EU/US supplier would be that they churn out hundreds of thousands of them a year (if not more) even for tweaked versions.  This area of the spectrum has a wide selection available, I saw a number in a few hours at a trade show last year. 

I suppose Lee or his team have experience dealing with far east design and manufacture processes so know how to get round the issues.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.